I've set myself a challenge which is to feed myself for £30 lasting 30 days.
I help to admin a Facebook Group called 'Feed yourself for £1 a day. As the title suggests, it is a frugality group and it's huge - over 100,000 members. I know it can be done - people do and I have done when I did Live Below The Line, but 30 days is a different kettle of fish. Easier in some ways, harder in others.
So - the rules - no, guidelines!
1. They won’t be consecutive days as I have commitments in my diary. I could have cheated and started a couple of days ago but, but as I wasn't providing my own food for a few days, that seemed a bit unfair. So I am starting on Tuesday.
2. I’m not going to get things in just for this but work as much as possible within what I already have – such as pasta, rice, flour, etc. However, I will use My Supermarket and price everything out. My scales and calculator will be working overtime!
3. I shall use my herbs, spices, etc, and take off £1 right at the beginning to cover what I use. I only cook for one so it can often be minimal. Cooking for one (usually) makes it a lot simpler as I don't have to worry about anyone else's needs.
4. I’ll shop around because I always do, but I expect I will be more vegetarian than usual as it is a cheaper way to eat. Beans, beans are good for your heart, etc.
5. If I have access to things that are cheaper, I will use that – for example, I have access to very cheap, good quality strong flour so my bread is going to work out at around 10p for a 1lb loaf.
Here's a link to the Pound a Day group - you will need to ask to join as it's a closed group.