Friday 3 March 2017

Recipe: chorizo and bean stew

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/simple_chorizo_and_bean_62033

Above is the inspiration for this, taken from the helpful'Eat Well For Less' site.  I really enjoyed those programmes, even if I did get a bit 'frustrated' with the participants at time!  I've taken the recipe and 'shoestringed' it to match what I have available.

It makes enough for six which is  27p per portion (rounded up) which is brilliantly frugal.  However, these prices only relate to what I had in my cupboard at this moment in time and will vary according to brand, supermarket and price hikes of which, sadly, there are rather a lot right now.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp veg oil* - 2p
72g chorizo, sliced lengthways and each half then sliced thinly (I had some left over which needed using up, hence the odd amount - 70g-100g would be fine, just adjust the cost) - 65p
some onion, roughly chopped (I had half to use up plus one small 'wonky' one) - 3p
100g cooking bacon, chopped - 10p
a squeeze of garlic puree - 3p
1 chicken stock cube - 3p
1 can chopped tomatoes plus half the can of water - 25p
20g drained sundried tomato, chopped (an optional extra but I love the flavour they impart) - 14p
2/3 tin baked beans, rinsed (I had this in the fridge to use up but a whole can would be fine.  I drained them because I didn't want the baked bean sauce taste) - 18p
45g chopped mushrooms - 9p
some dried parsley
some tomato puree - 8p
seasonings, if needed
Total: £1.60

(*I missed a trick here as I have some sundried tomato oil to use up - must remember that as it's 'free' - I costed the drained weight only.  Don't ever throw this away, it is packed with sunshine flavour.)

Method:
Gently saute the onion and chorizo in the oil until the oil runs from the chorizo and everything is a lovely orange shade.  Add the cooking bacon, and continue frying it gently for about five mins, stirring now and again.  Add the garlic puree and cook for another minute.

Add the chopped tomatoes and extra water, the stock cube, the sundried tomato and the rinsed beans with a little grating of black pepper.  Mix well, bring to a boil, cover, turn down the heat and allow it to simmer, covered, for about half an hour, stirring it now and again to stop any sticking.
Then add the mushroom, parsley and tomato puree, stir well, increase the heat a little and let it bubble, uncovered, so that the mixture thickens a bit, stirring now and again.


Taste, adjust seasonings if necessary (I didn't need to) and it's finished.  Eat with pasta, rice or , maybe, mash. or use as a filling for cannelloni or even on top of a pizza base.  You could do lots of things with it.


I shared it into 6 portions which are, as I type, cooling ready for freezing.  Very flavoursome and very frugal.   When you reduce the overall size of your portions, as I have done, you want every mouthful to be a real burst of flavour and this certainly fits the bill in that respect!






No comments:

Post a Comment