Wednesday 15 March 2017

Recipe: frugal sort of enchiladas

This comes in two parts.


For the sourdough flatbread
200g plain flour
half a cup sourdough starter discard
heaped tbsp natural yogurt
a good pinch of salt
Water to mix it all into a soft-ish dough
(I had discard that I didn't want to discard but you could use more yogurt, milk, or even just water to make flatbread)

Method.
Mix ingredients into a soft dough, like this.

Wrap and chill for a short time.
Split ingredients into 50g balls and roll out into a sort of circle.

Heat a solid based frying pan and dry fry each circle of dough.  It will puff up and you will get brown spots.  That's not a problem.

As each on has cooked, stack them up and cover with a clean tea towel.  Then pop them in a poly bag, separated with interleaving to stop them drying out and sticking.
If they do go a bit hard, just give each one ten seconds in a microwave.

The above amounts made eight at less than 1p each.  The rest will freeze fine and tomorrow I am going to try to make some baked 'tortilla' chips!


For the sauce
A portion of savoury mince with veg (see link below for recipe)
some kidney beans (tinned would be fine and I guess about a quarter of a can's worth would be about right)
Some passata or other tomatoes such as some of a tin of chopped tomatoes.
spices such as chilli, smoked paprika, etc.
30 to 35g grated strong cheddar


Method
First of all, I made the flatbreads (in the morning), wrapped them up and left them

I took one of my freezer portions of savoury mince and veg and half a portion of kidney beans that I had soaked, cooked and frozen previously.
To that I added some spices - I chose a bit of chilli and a bit of garlic puree, but you could use whatever you fancy really.
Then I added some passata that I had made and frozen last summer from tomatoes in the garden/

I took two of the 'tortillas'.  With a slatted spoon I put some of the mince/bean mixture on each one, rolled it up and placed it in a greased ovenproof dish.

I then spread the rest of the tomato sauce over the top . . .

. . .  sprinkled 40g strong cheddar over the top  . . .

and baked it in a 180C oven until it was all bubbling and the cheese was melted and gorgeous.


I was going to have some coleslaw on the side but I'm glad I didn't because it was very, very filling and scrummy, which is why I am sharing it here.  It's almost bedtime and I don't have any room for any supper.

I will make this again, for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment