Monday 6 March 2017

Recipe: roasted cauliflower cheese soup


I made this from the contents of the bowl on the right; all the bits I have thrown away in the past.  It's rather delicious.

As always, prices depend on what you have at home or what you can get locally.  Mine are correct for me, here and now!  Apf means 'already paid for'.

Ingredients to make four portions
stems and leaves from a large cauliflower (free, because I had costed the florets to pay for the whole veg)
1 tbsp veg oil (2p)
small onion, peeled and chopped (2p)
half a large carrot, chopped (I used wonky veg) (2p)
a couple of 'slices' of celery (I slice across the top so it's already chopped) (5p)
water (I used reserved water that the cauliflower florets were boiled in yesterday)
1 veg stock cube (3p)
a pinch mixed herbs (apf)
some milk (apf)
1/3 carton of soft cheese - I used Morrisons Savers - (18p)

Method:
Chop the trimmings into smaller chunks and put them in a roasting dish with the onion, celery and carrot.  Pour over 15 mls veg oil and mix well - I find using my hands works best.  Roast in a medium oven for about half an hour; the leaves will turn crispy brown.

Tip the vegetables into a saucepan.  Add some water to cover.  Don't worry too much about amount as long as there's enough as you can always add more later.
Add the stock cube and the mixed herbs.
Bring to a boil, cover, turn the heat down and simmer until the vegetables are all soft.  It won't take long because of the roasting.

Use a stick blender or a machine and zizz until smooth.  It should be fairly thick. 
Add some milk and, if needed, more water.
Put the soup back in the pan and reheat but don't boil.  Add the soft cheese and mix in well.  The cheese makes all the difference - don't miss it out!
Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.  I didn't need to add any salt because the vegetable water had been salted and I will add pepper at the table.

The whole lot cost me 32p.  It made four portions.  That's 8p per portion - cheap enough to be able to afford a sprinkle of grated cheddar or Italian hard cheese on top!

It will cost you more because you won't have apfs, but it is still very frugal and a great way of using what might otherwise go on the compost heap, feed the family pet or just get chucked!

2 comments:

  1. Last week I made soup from the remains of a cauliflower and some broccoli stalks and added a little bit of stilton cheese. My but that was tasty! Did us lunch for four days and cost virtually nothing as even the stilton was a present : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really does sound delicious. I love stilton in a soup - well, I love stilton, full stop. :-)
    J x

    ReplyDelete