Friday 10 March 2017

Recipe: toasted cheese sandwich

I wish I had taken a photo of my lunch but all that is left is a few crumbs on the plate and a smear of mayo from the coleslaw.  So delicious.

The main problem with toasties is the amount of washing up afterwards.  Those toasted cheese makers are a right fiddle faddle to clean and if the cheese leaks it is even worse.  This way is so much easier, cleaner and you don't need the right sized slices of bread or a special machine either!  Just a grill and a bit of foil.

This is what I did

Ingredient to make one sandwich
2 slices bread  - I just used my home made which is made in a 1lb loaf tin so not huge but it was enough for me!
25g strong cheddar, finely grated (the finer you grate it, the more it looks as if you have!
onion chutney
very soft butter or dripping - I used some chicken dripping that I had and it was most delicious!

I also used a small bit of foil, a bit bigger than the bread because I prefer to deal with that rather than having to clean the grill pan and rack.

Method
Turn the grill on to high.

Thinly spread some soft butter (or dripping) over one side of each slice
Make up the sandwich with the grated cheese and chutney, butter sides out.
Place sandwich on the foil and then on the grill pan.  Grill until each side is brown.

Eat with garnish.  I had some coleslaw left from yesterday and a few mini tomatoes.  It was very tasty indeed

I use my own home made bread and home made onion chutney and the prices reflect this.  The cheese is from Lidl and this particular batch was on special so it turned out to be a very frugal lunch as well as a doddle to make.

You can add veg to this.  Cheese and mushroom, cheese and onion, cheese and tomato, cheese and peppers, cheese and more cheese . . . over to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment