Sunday 29 October 2017

Potato pastry

http://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/food/pastry-making/potato-pastry-recipe/

I read about this in a WW2 Kindle download and also in a friend's blog and thought I'd give it a go.  Of course, potatoes are probably more expensive than flour now and pastry ingredients are not in no way a problem to get hold of but never mind, I wanted to give it a go.

I used the recipe above and adapted it.

20g veg oil (the recipe said butter or marg and I will try butter next time)
70g SR flour (so no baking powder)
28g mash (I made up some instant)
salt

Mash the flour and the oil together, mix in the mash and some salt to make a soft dough.  I patted it out by hand. Top your pie and bake at 180 (fan) for around 30 mins until it's browned.

It came out puffed up, crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy underneath, a bit like suet pastry.  I wonder how it would do for dumplings.
Just for once, I remembered to take a photo!

There was a bit left over which I will use to make a sort of tattie scone (fried in butter!) and have for breakfast topped with a poached egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment