Friday 6 October 2017

Recipe: frugal wraps

An old recipe that I first posted in my Teacher's Recipes blog and am reproducing in here because I'm using home made wraps today for the quesadillas.  
Wraps are one of those things that are ridiculously expensive for what they actually are which, basically, is a simple mix of flour, fat and water.  They're so, so simple to make too.

I got the recipe from here originally, a site linked from Jack Monroe's site in the early days:
http://frugalfeeding.com/2011/06/15/versatile-homemade-wraps/
It's an old link but it still works - I've checked it.  in fact, I must explore the site again at some point.

I tweaked it slightly and this is what I did at that time, copied from Teacher's Recipes.
.
Wraps

Ingredients to make 8 medium sized wraps, around 2p each
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting and rolling (I used value/basic flour and it was fine)
1/2 tbsp butter (again, I used basic)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
150ml hot water

Usual Method:
Follow the link above
Method for the Thermomix
Place the first 4 ingredients in the bowl and mix on 5 for about 5 seconds.
Add the water, mix briefly, then knead for five minutes.

Divide into 8 small balls (each will be around 60g)

When you roll each ball out into a very thin sort of circular shape; they don't HAVE to be circular and some of mine were a very odd shape indeed!.  Use flour for dusting (needed).

Heat up a frying pan until very hot.  Dry fry each wrap in turn, giving each side no more than 2 minutes.  I found it was a lot less, in fact, and I did need to flatten them down because they puffed up a lot.  You certainly can't go off and do anything else, however short a time it takes.  As you remove each one from the pan, stack it under a clean tea towel to prevent it going hard.

I have no idea how long these stay fresh.  It’s probably best to interleave each one and pop them in the freezer somewhere they won’t get knocked, to use individually if you're not going to eat them immediately.


Nowadays I might use oil instead of butter, I might use yogurt instead of water, I might not add baking powder, depending on what I have available and I knead it much more briefly.

I've not bought a wrap or a flatbread since!



No comments:

Post a Comment