Sunday 31 December 2017

home made jelly

Today I did what I have wanted to do for ages and used some sheet gelatin to make a jelly.

You see cheffy people using gelatin on the telly and make it look so easy but my experiences with powdered gelatin (not great) rather put me off trying.  In a rash moment a few months ago I bought some sheet gelatin and I reckon the time has come to try it out.

When I made my fruit salad for Christmas, I kept the spare juice or syrup from the tinned fruit - mango, pineapple*, lychees and mandarins.  Good, fruity flavoured (and low fat) stuff that I didn't want to throw away.

Today I did this.
I measured out what I had and made it up to 300mls with some orange juice.  I warmed it in a saucepan to about 50C (I checked)
While that was warming, I put three gelatin sheets into some cold water and swilled it around a bit.  After five minutes the sheets had gone completely soft and gooey so I squeezed out all the water, popped the soft sheets into the warm juice/syrup and stirred it until the gelatin had dissolved.

That was it!

I poured it into two plastic pots and when it was cold, popped them into the fridge to set. 

*  I know pineapple has an enzyme that prevents setting but not if it has been heated and canned pineapple has been heat treated.

As I have fruit juice left over from Christmas, I will try using that next and see what happens.



And two hours later I have two pots of the most beautiful jelly, not clear because the original liquid wasn't clear but with the most fantastic wobble.  It smells great and I am resisting temptation like crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment