Monday 11 December 2017

Monday, 11-12-17

Well, the snow yesterday played havoc with my catering plans.  My guests didn't come (ungritted roads, skating rink-like conditions, etc) so I had a lot of prepped food to deal with.

I had some of the slow roast lamb (which was absolutely delicious) and my son turned up, bless him, to see if I needed anything so he had a plateful as well.  The rest is now in the freezer in single portions - at least I can now make proper shepherd's pie.  The beany mixture is also in the freezer as is the rhubarb and strawberry crumble.  I'm sure I can use them over the Christmas period.

I had peeled all the potatoes I had so I par-boiled them, dried them out and they are now open freezing for use on Christmas day.

So my slowly emptying freezer took a bit of a battering but nothing, absolutely nothing was wasted unless you count me eating far more roast lamb than was good for me.

Moving on, today's plans are:
B:  porridge with fruit (some of the stewed rhubarb and strawberries) and yogurt
S:  orange
L:  roasted butternut squash and butterbean soup
S:  apple
D:  savoury mince, pasta**; yogurt


From the freezer
The soup
The savoury mince

The frugal factor
The fruit for the porridge was from allotments and garden
The soup is home made from home grown or cooked ingredients
The mince is a small portion and packed with healthy bulkers - oats, lentils and chopped veg - to make it go further and because it's absolutely delicious!


** Edited later.  I've changed my mind.  I have some 'wonky' peppers so I am going to use the mince to make stuffed peppers instead and have a salad on the side.



And another edit.  I am so glad I changed my dinner plan because the stuffed pepper was delicious!







I'm trying to use up the multitude of stuff in the freezer.
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
I have gall bladder problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so am taking myself in hand with low fat, high fruit and veg, generally healthy meals but with plenty of flavour.
Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I've just had another dive into my freezer. I've sorted the rest of the prepped meals so they are easily accessible to use leading up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. That's the big secret - being organised, I think.
    J x

    ReplyDelete