Saturday 30 December 2017

Recipe: kedgeree

http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-kedgeree-slimming-world/

I printed the above off and adapted it quite considerably.



Ingredients (made one and a half portions for me)
one small onion (I used a banana shallot, peeled and cut into thin wedges)
spray oil and a little dab of butter (can't beat the flavour)
one cardomom pod, squashed to let the flavour out
a good pinch of turmeric
one inch of cinnamon stick (I am sure powder would be fine but I have sticks that need using up)
about a level tsp of curry powder, maybe a little more, to taste (I used Mayflower)
one bay leaf (I have a bay plant so use them quite a lot)
some veg - I used a handful of peas, a handful of corn and three 'rings' of leek, separated
some basmati rice - I didn't measure, just used a couple of tbsps or so
About 250 mls of stock - I used chicken stock
a piece of smoked haddock - I had bought a fillet of undyed smoked haddock, cut it into three and froze.  This was one of the three pieces.

What I didn't use
lemon wedges (forgot)
any other seasoning - not necessary
boiled egg

Method.
Heat the spray oil and butter in a pan, add the onion, stir well, cover and gently saute until the onion is soft.  Then add the spices, mix well, re-cover and saute for another five minutes or so.

Add the rice, turn up the heat a bit and fry the rice until it turns translucent.
Add the vegetables and the stock.  Bring to a gentle simmer.
Lay the fish on top.  Cover and gently simmer for five minutes.  Then take off the fish (which is cooked) and flake it. 
Stir the rice, re-cover and let it simmer until the rice is almost cooked, then uncover, turn up the heat and let the rest of the liquid evaporate.
Add the flaked fish, stir in gently (it will reheat quickly) and serve.
(I forgot the lemon wedge and chose not to use a boiled egg.)



This made too much for me so about one third is now cooling in a small; pot and that's my lunch tomorrow, this time with a hard boiled egg on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment