Sunday 28 January 2018

My garden space

As the months pass, I'll probably go on quite a lot about my garden so I thought it might be nice to show you what it looks like.  These photos were taken last summer when it was all looking lush and green and productive. 
I have just a little garden and, for convenience's sake, when I was working all the hours there were as a teacher, I had it paved over with three raised beds.  I kind of regret that now I have so much more time but it's extremely manageable, I'm not getting any younger and I do get some veg and fruit from it.  It's a nice place to sit out of a summer evening with a good book and a glass of chilled white.

One bed (the one on the left that you can hardly see) is for herbs and foliage, the middle one is flowers (and runner beans|) and the one on the right is strawberries and tomatoes.

You can see the runner beans growing up and over the archways and through the right hand archway there are more tomatoes - I do love home grown tomatoes.  The planter in the foreground has strawberries in the top.


 Sorry about the bad light.  

This one is the strawberry and tomato bed and front right you can see my bay bush which I've never managed to kill, even though all the leaves fell off one bad winter.  I was going to chuck it but, being lazy, didn't get round to it and then it started leafing up again.  Just behind the bed is two planters with blueberries and further left, trained up the fence, is a tayberry - the plant that refused to die, despite the best efforts of me and then my at the time two young garden helpers.

In the herb bed I have thyme, rosemary (somewhat overgrown - I need to prune it right back), oregano and chives with three different mints in pots beside it.  I have a little sage in a pot and must find a place for it somewhere.  There's also some attractive foliage.

So that's my little patch, not that it looks anything like that right now but nothing that a bit of hard work won't solve!

I'll show you the allotment that I share with Beth in another post at some point.





8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful space you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It's not posh but I try to make it homey.
      J x

      Delete
  2. I love your runner bean arch. I may have to steal that idea 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do. When the beans are there, it creates 'pathways'.
      J x

      Delete
  3. Gardens should suit your lifestyle or they can be a burden. Although our garden is big we planned it do it was easy to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. I agree, it has to work for us. Your garden sounds nice.
      J x

      Delete
  4. I have raised beds for fruit and salad, containers for some veg and then lots of fruit trees and bushes. It is very easy to manage with minimal bending. Your garden looks lovely, here's hoping for a decent summer with lots of crops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. Next door has the trees so I get the pleasure without the responsibility (apart from the autumn leaves).
      J x

      Delete