Wednesday 24 January 2018

Recipe: Flatbread using garlic and herb quark

I wanted something to have with my roasted tomato and lentil soup and I also wanted ideas to use my garlic and onion quark so this is what I did.  I started with 25g flour because that's roughly how much is in one slice of my home made bread.

Ingredients to make one small flatbread
25g plain flour (I will try SR next time)
25g garlic and herb quark
small pinch salt
spray oil.

Method
I mixed the quark with the flour and salt using a spoon.  It didn't take long for it all to come together.  Then I kneaded it very briefly so it was smooth.  I made it early so I wrapped it in some cling film and popped it in the fridge (couldn't do this if I'd used SR)


Just before I needed it, while the soup was warming up, I rolled the dough out very thin, sprayed some oil on both sides and smoothed it all over.  I warmed a non stick pan over a medium hot ring and cooked the dough for around 3 minutes per side, maybe a little less.  It puffed up a bit and then dropped again.

Did it work?  I should say it did, it was very nice with just a slight hint of garlic and herb.  I dunked it in the soup and mmmmmmmmmm.


6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, now what soup shall I make to go with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to try the weight watchers recipe next week which is natural yoghurt based but flavoured quark appeals more. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I did. I will definitely make it again and try SR flour next time.
      J x

      Delete
  3. Natural yogurt also works really well actually (having seen Tania's comment above) - the slight sharpness of the yogurt is a really good flavour in the finished breads. I sometimes mix toasted onion (nigella) seeds in as well - nice bit of crunch and a different flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yogurt is great. I use it instead of buttermilk for soda bread and it works so well. I love the idea of adding seeds, thanks.
      J x

      Delete