Wednesday 17 January 2018

Recipe: roasted tomato soup

I thought that, having raved about this soup (and it was nicer second day), I ought to post the recipe although it was a bit chuck it in, taste and see.
Here goes.

Ingredients
6 very tasteless tomatoes (Aldi super six)
garlic granules
A bit of oil, as little as you can get away with
half an onion
half a carrot
some celery
(these three are the base for most of my soups)
chicken or veg stock powder (I used Knorr chicken stock granules but Marigold would also work)
tomato puree
dried mustard
pepper
bit of salt - if the stock was salty, be careful
water
milk

Method
Earlier, preferably when you have the oven on for something else, cut the tomatoes into quarters, toss them in a very little oil, add the chopped onion, carrot and celery and some garlic granules (or puree or the proper stuff), mix it all up well so that everything is coated and pop in the oven for half an hour or so turning it all over now and again..  The tomatoes will firstly go juicy, then start thickening and charring slightly.  You want a little bit of char but not too much.

Remove from the oven and set aside until needed.  Cover and refrigerate if left overnight

The next day tip it all into a pan and add all the other ingredients apart from the milk and quark.  Pour a bit of boiling water into the roasting dish and use it to scape out all the sticky bits because they have wonderful flavour.

Bring to a simmer and let it all gently bubble for ten minutes or so or until all the veg is soft.  Add more water if it gets too thick.

Tip into a blender and zizz until smooth.  Then you could push it all through a sieve, if you want.  I did.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.  You could add more stock powder at this point too, if needed.

Pop the soup back into the pan and add some milk to dilute and a dollop of quark.  Whisk it all together and re-heat to just under boiling.

Serve.  You could add some grated cheese, some croutons, some bacon crumbles - but |I love it just as it is.

(and if you don't have fresh tomatoes, use a can of chopped tomatoes instead.  It could be cheaper and will taste great.)


8 comments:

  1. Sounds great Joy - apart from the celery, which I hate! I'm doing this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) You can't taste the celery, it's just part of the classic mirepoix. The Hairy Bikers call it the 'holy trinity'!
      I do hope you like it.
      J x

      Delete
    2. I don't suppose I would, but I'd still know it was there! And I couldn't bear to prepare it anyhow - I loathe the smell of it just as much as the taste!

      Delete
    3. My ex (who is now a 'late') was the same. He couldn't stand celery. I love it but never had it when we were together.
      J x

      Delete
  2. I agree you won't taste the celery but it's one of those basic ingredients that most dishes need. Your recipe sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's one of my favourites although it's never the same twice running.
      J x

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious. It's a good idea to treat 'tasteless' tomatoes this way, because then they do taste of something at last ... and something very good at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just made it again but this time with some milk, some soft cheese, more stock and a couple of handfuls of lentils. It's so, so good and made twice as much - one for lunch and three for the freezer.
      J x

      Delete