Saturday 6 January 2018

Skimming

I won't be wandering into the more financial side of frugality much in this blog as I'm no expert, mildly dyscalculic, and more complicated numbers confuse me no end.

I don't know a lot about skimming but, wherever I look, people seem to be discussing it so it's obviously now a big thing and I'm well behind the times.
I realise I've been 'skimming' - sort of - for ages now and, yes, it does help me to save.  This is what I do.

Skimming my purse.  This happens on a regular basis, whenever I pay for anything by cash, which I am trying to do more and more as it feels more 'spendy' than handing over a card.  All I do is tip out all the change in my purse, put back the two pounds, the fifties and twenties while the tens, fives and ones go in a money jar.  I lifted the jar the other day and it's really quite heavy so I must look into what I do with it.  After all, it's not earning me anything, however small, just sitting in a jar!

I could use the money machine thingy at Morrison's but that takes a certain percentage and I'm not sure what for.  If it's a charity I might be very happy about that (depending on what it is, of course) but I just don't know and need to remember to look next time I am there.  The other option is to bag it all up and take it to the bank.  Two problems there - I don't know how they want it bagged and the bank is in town and parking would cut into the cash!  I can find out the former but the latter is one of those insurmountable (good word) things as there's no way I want to bus and then walk with a heavy bag of cash!

Lazy?  Moi?  Maybe I have to get my act together here!  :-)

The other purse skimming is to pop almost all the pound coins into a tin.  I keep one for my trolley pound and maybe a couple for luck but the rest hits the tin.  It's very useful for charity collections, tips, parking costs and, if needed, smaller shopping and when Beth and I did craft fairs we were never short of a good float.  However, most gets bagged and saved.

Then there's my bank account.  I gather you can get apps that access your account and skim off the lose change at the end of each day/week/month or whatever.  I have a more active approach as I like to keep on top of things and I access my account online several times a week.  I skim off any extra deposits, such as the winter fuel payment and the Christmas bonus and, when I can, my state pension, as I try to manage on my teacher's pension.  Also, at the end of each month I check my statement against my records and move any leftover money too.

This month will be brilliant as I get state pension every four weeks so this month there are two payments, one at the beginning and one right at the end.  I know it's all just figures in a book really but it feels good.  And in the next two months I won't be paying rates and water rates so that's more to go into savings!

I'm not a great financial manager and the specifics of interest rates, etc, just baffle me, but the above works for me and while the savings get bigger, even by a small amount, I am content.

What are the savings for?   Well, security, for a start.  If something crucial goes, I can repair/replace without worry or needing to borrow at exorbitant cost.  It's for my future in case I need medical or care support.  It's so I can help family members out if needed.  It's for giving.  It's for any holidays I wish to take.  It's for a car replacement when that time comes along.  Oh, you get the idea.

So that's me and skimming!  Simple, manageable and works for me.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I didn't realise it had a name but that's what I've been doing years! As a family we used to do it and it quickly added up. We then treated ourselves at Christmas. Now it's just me and I don't use much cash but I still save all my small value coins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I've been doing this for years now. All the shrapnel as we call it, goes into the Sealed Pot along with £2 coins if we're feeling a bit flush ... well it did until this year. This year as we're living on a really limited budget for food all the small change will be used to actually pay for things we need.

    Although if we do car boot sales again this summer we will put all the small change we get in the takings straight into the Sealed Pot to pay for Christmas 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is surprising how quickly it builds up, isn't it, Ali. Do you then pay it into the bank from time to time?
    Sue, I love, love, love your new sealed pot. It's so traditional and just attractive in its own very simple way. I bet it will be a real pleasure to pop that cash in regularly!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I pay it into the bank but earmark it for whatever I've decided as a treat. Although this time round it'll be groceries as I'm squeezing every penny

      Delete
  4. Very handy when times are tight.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The money machines, usually owned by Coinstar, take their percentage because they are a commercial business and have overheads (buying, maintaining and emptying the machines) and staff to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are also charged heavily by the banks for managing the high volume of coins

      Delete
    2. Ah, I see. THanks for the info. I think it will be better to lug some to the bank each time I need to go into town for some reason or other and hope for the best from the bank. I found out how the coins need to be bagged so that's OK.
      J x
      Better start sorting

      Delete
  6. Why not use the small coins and skim off all the 10p or 20p coins which are easier to bank?
    I use small coins by giving the exact money at the greengrocers or charity shop.
    At our WI they collect 1p & 2p coins for a women's aid charity, it adds up to about £30-£40 over the year.

    NellieGrace

    ReplyDelete