Sunday 21 January 2018

Sunday, 21-01-18

Good morning.
The Christmas dinner went down a treat and, despite the small quantities of each item, there's enough to feel one person left, two people if they cook another veg.  I'm really pleased about that - it makes the whole effort much more reasonable in price.

Today's food plans:
B:  muesli, fruit and natural yogurt
L:  toast and marmite or there's some leek that needs using up so I might make a leek and potato soup.
D:  lamb leg steak (one between three so not nearly as bad as it sounds, mash, sprouts, carrots, apple crumble

From the freezer
Just the lamb steak

The frugal factor
The main frugal thing is that I'm not paying for the ingredients!
But if I was . . .
Home made soup is rarely even close to costing much to make.
Lamb is expensive but sharing the steak between three makes it manageable and also gets each portion closer to the recommended amount of protein on the plate which is a lot less than you might think.
The apple for the crumble is from next door's apple tree (a gift, not scrumped) and crumble topping isn't expensive - just flour, butter and sugar and not a lot of any for the small amount I want.  In fact, if it were just for me, I'd make a batch and freeze most of it as you can then spoon out just what you want, when you want it!


No comments:

Post a Comment