Thursday 25 January 2018

Thursday, 25-01-18

Good morning.

Today's plans:
B:  Muesli, fruit and natural yogurt
L:  Boiled eggs, toasty soldiers
D:  It's Burns' Night and it just so happens that I have some haggis, bought cheap after Burns' Night more years ago than I care to say and sliced before freezing.  I don't have whisky so whisky sauce is out of the question; in fact I don't have any alcohol at all.   Cranberry sauce is supposed to go well and mashing the potatoes with some softened spring onions seems to be a thing too.  However, I was wondering about a sauce made with creme fraiche, mushrooms and dijon or grain mustard.   What do you think?  Also either swede or parsnips.  I have both and while I know swede is the traditional accompaniment, I rather fancy parsnips
Ss:  apple and orange

From the freezer:
Fruit for the muesli
Bread for the toast
Slices of haggis and, if I make a cranberry sauce, the cranberries are frozen.  I've used up all my Christmas cranberry sauce now.

The frugal factor:
The muesli is a gift and the yogurt is home made
Eggs are lovely frugal packages of delicious goodness and my bread costs very little
The haggis was YS - however I have to find it in the chilly depths of the freezer!


6 comments:

  1. Parsnips, definitely parsnips and yes yes yes to the sauce with grain mustard. I love the original line up of neeps and tatties but I come from Norfolk and "we do different" is our motto. I want to look for a vegan "haggis" recipe,if there is such a thing, just for curiosities sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen vegetarian haggis in Morrisons but I'm not sure about vegan. There do seem to be recipes in the internet though.
      https://www.peta.org.uk/blog/recipe-vegan-haggis-for-the-laddies-and-lassies/
      https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-haggis
      This one is vegetarian but I think it's only the butter that stops it being vegan and I'm sure that is substitutable. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jan/22/how-to-cook-perfect-vegetarian-haggis
      J x

      Delete
  2. Alan, who is Scottish, would
    love parsnips ... as long as he got his neeps and tatties too 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless him! Well, I've decided and it will be parsnips because it will be using up something from the freezer (prepped for Christmas but not all used). The swede will do for another time so I have that to look forward to. Luckily it keeps well.
      J x

      Delete
  3. I've eaten vegi-haggis in Scotland and very nice it was. Parsnips - oh yum! My favourite vegetable.

    ReplyDelete