Wednesday 10 January 2018

Wednesday, 10-1-18

A third of the way through the month and already the time seems to be whizzing past.  This week has been an expensive one so far with the car's annual service but, thankfully, all was in good order and I saved for it in advance so it hasn't hurt.  When you know these things are coming up, it is relatively easy to sort them out, especially if you start early enough; it's the unexpected things that can cause real problems.

The garage I use has a savings scheme.  You pay a certain amount each month and by the end of the year there's enough to cover the cost of the service.  However, it's not cheaper if you do it that way and I prefer to put the same amount aside in my own savings and get whatever interest there is (not much at present, admittedly) than let the garage have my interest.  I'm not tempted to nibble away at it so that works for me.


Today's food:
B:  beans on toast
L:  last night's leftovers of half a gardener's pie and some sprouts
D:  pasta bolognaise, maybe a side salad; fruit and yogurt
Ss; apple and orange

From the freezer:
the bread for the toast
the pasta bolognaise
fruit to stew and mix with the yogurt (edit: I chose strawberries)

The frugal factor:
I'm having the other half of the tin of beans opened yesterday - a whole can at one sitting is wa-a-ay too much for me.
Lunch is all leftovers
Actually, so is the pasta bolognaise - leftovers that were frozen rather than thrown out and which now provides me with part of a dinner.  No complaints here.
Edit:  I got out some strawberries which were frozen from garden produce last summer so that makes them very frugal

What things do you keep and serve up another time?


2 comments:

  1. You are proof you can eat healthily and cheaply if you plan and prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tania (lovely to see you back again). It takes some thought and some planning and even some compromises, but you can.
    J x

    ReplyDelete