Wednesday 24 January 2018

Wednesday, 24-1-18

First of all, a heartfelt thank you for all the lovely comments yesterday.  I think I've answered them all and I'm grateful for the ideas and helpful remarks.

Well, yesterday went all upsy down in the evening as Beth wasn't able to come round.  I made up the beany vegetarian mixture but I didn't faff around with lasagne for just me, I just baked a few of the potatoes I dug up the other day and had it with them instead and it was delicious.  So the cheese wasn't touched!  What I didn't use I will deal with today.
I added some chilli to the mixture and decided where weren't enough kidney beans so I popped out the the freezer and got a few more - that's one of the nice things about having a bag of loose beans (so to speak!) available.
There's a fair amount left so I will use some for today and that will leave a portion for the freezer.

I've also started making my own yogurt again.  I have this super electric yogurt maker that's dead easy to use and if you use long life milk, you don't even have to heat the milk and cool it again.  I loved the yogurt I was buying from the shop but home made is also very good (and a lot cheaper) and it's about time I got back in the habit.

As things come in threes, I made up the tomato and lentil soup using the not-tasteless-after-roasting tomatoes, more or less following the recipe I posted the other day but I added some lentils (and therefore more liquid and stock as well), some milk (needed using up*) and a good dollop of soft cheese which makes it taste so creamy.  By the time I'd finished tweaking it, I had made double the usual amount so that was one for me yesterday, another one for me today and two for the freezer!
   *The milk was twelve days out of date, still smelled and tasted fine but couldn't have lasted much longer.


Today's plans:
B:  porridge, strawberry 'foam' and natural yogurt
L:  roasted tomato and lentil soup, flatbread made with flour and some garlic and herb quark (an experiment which may or may not work!)
D:  Sausage, bean and veg crumble (recipe will be in a separate post), sprouts; yogurt
Ss:  apple and orange

From the freezer:
Just a couple of those Heck sausages for the crumble but I'm using stuff that would otherwise have to go in the freezer.
But . . .
Into the freezer go two portions of soup and one of beany mixture.  I seem to be going backwards with the freezer challenge at the moment but at least I'm using what I have got, not buying extra.

The frugal factor
Breakfast is all frugal!
Home made soup - adding lentils makes more and they are very cheap.  Lovely!
The sausages were YS so the two I use cost just 25p - and they're also reasonable on calories too.
The beany mix is very frugal, using garden passata, savers mixed veg, pulses cooked myself and the topping is just flour, savers not-really-butter (I think I have some) and some grated Not-Parmesan.





2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the freezer. I get three things out of the freezer, have a batch cook and put 5 back 😂 I will get to the bottom of the freezer one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sure I wouldn't be the only one. I'm sure we will - or at least we will have used up all the older stuff. I gather it is more expensive to run an empty freezer anyway.
      J x

      Delete