Friday 9 February 2018

Five Frugal Fings


1.  After sorting out and bagging up the coins in my coin jar and my pound jar, I banked £75 this week with a few more bags still to bank as I wasn't sure how they would react in the bank so didn't want to push it too much!  That's a nice bit of extra money for something that I hardly notice doing and certainly don't miss - popping my loose change and pound coins into a tin now and again.


2.  I then went and spent some on nice, hard backed notebooks.  I love notebooks.  No, I didn't need them but they were post Christmas 80% off sale items and will make nice pressies (if I can bear to give them away).


3.  I wandered into a 'health food' shop the other day and spotted the sort of BOGOF I go for - two bags of lentils for the price of one.  You don't see BOGOFs much nowadays but they used to be on the most unhealthy things or on foods that had a pretty limited life span so, really, it wasn't always as much of a bargain as it seemed.  Lentils last for ever though and I get through quite a lot, one way and another.  Also, I was nearly out and they were on my list for the next supermarket shop so win-win!


4.  As mentioned last week, I'm knitting a present for a very special little lady, using some of my considerable stash of yarn.  The doll is finished and now I'm having fun with clothes.  By the time I've finished, she will have a very complete wardrobe and should be a lovely gift that cost little but my time and effort.


5.  I'm really pleased that I'm keeping the freezer audi updated.  Yes, it means regular editing and the occasional reprinting but it has made knowing what I've actually got in there very, very simple indeed and many's the time I'd have been sorely tempted to buy something or get a takeaway, had it not been so easy to know what was already available.
Locating items isn't quite as easy so the next step will be to invest in some of those nice supermarket bags - the cuboid shaped, 'woven' kind - and start sorting things out a bit more.  I'm thinking one for fish, one for ready meals (mostly home made), a couple for veg (I have a lot|), one for joints, etc. With their flat bases, they should slot into the chest freezer really well and make things much easier to find, not to mention more organised and just neater. My aim is to stop risking frostbite every time I look for something in there.


What have you done this week that's frugal?

4 comments:

  1. Moat frugal thing was going to buy carrots and buying only carrots. Too often I pick up extras that aren't really needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's way too easy to do that, isn't it? Good for you.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My most frugal thing this week was buying all the vegetables I need for next week with my £4.50 Tesco voucher and only going over by 1p. I had Alan on adding up duty as I put the veggies in my trolley :-)

    I LOVE the thought of that knitted doll and its outfits, I would have loved something like that when I was small. I hated 'proper' dolls but loved knitted or ragdolls. Is there any chance of us seeing a photo of it once the gift has been given?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great value for vegetables!
      Yes, I'll post a few more photos before I'm finished, I am sure. I think she's really very cute.
      J x

      Delete