Saturday 17 February 2018

Saturday, 17-02-18

Morning, everyone.

This was yesterday's dinner and I can have it on the diet.  The fish looks a bit ragged but it was very tasty and the herbs were from the garden!  Not much flavour yet but it was nice to use them and once the warmer weather starts, they will grow like crazy again.



Today's plans
B:  porridge with fruit and natural yogurt
L:  chicken and veg soup
D:  sirloin steak with a nice salad, fruit yogurt
Ss:  apple and orange

From the freezer:
The fruit for the porridge
The chicken for the soup
The steak.

The frugal factor
The chicken is part of the remnants of a roast chicken with some of the stock I got by boiling up the carcass
The steak is not cheap but I have it already and it would be most un-frugal to not use it.  This is where using what you have plays its part.
And porridge is always a great value breakfast.

Nearly forgot:  I now have six pots of low fat cheese, finely grated and in the freezer to add to the other supplies.  I'm having difficulty remembering it is classified as dairy - I've always thought of it as protein.  Not that I've ever troubled the shop for low fat cheese but it's on The List (and it is only three or four weeks)!

I've had a few ideas (not really original in any way) for dishes I can put together and on yesterday's River Cottage programme (about fish), he did a sardine recipe that should work for me - and even better, I have all the ingredients already).




4 comments:

  1. I'm trying to have more meat free days each week. I would love 3 days each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm aiming for two fish, two vegetarian and three meat but I will have to see how it all goes.
      J x

      Delete
  2. That's a nice well balanced meal :-)

    I smiled at your forgetting that cheese was dairy, it's surprising how many people think that eggs are dairy !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :-)
      I smiled at myself too - but I still think of it as protein as well as dairy! I'm looking forward to having plenty of eggs though - two make one protein portion and I usually only have one at a time.
      J x

      Delete