Monday 26 March 2018

Monday, 26-03-18

Morning!

Yesterday's sort of roast dinner turned out very nice, especially that 'stuffing'.  There was a little bit of sausage meat in Mum and Dad's freezer so I mixed that with some freshly zizzed breadcrumbs some finely chopped onion, softened in the microwave, some dried mixed herbs (no sage, you see) and some salt and pepper, baked it in the oven and it was delicious.  If you don't have sausage meat, just take the skin off one sausage which would be the most expensive part of the whole thing.  You could also ring the changes with herbs and seasonings and I like a few dried cranberries in my stuffing too.
I only had a little bit to taste because it's not the sort of thing I am supposed to have but it was delicious so I will definitely make it again.  If the sausage meat hadn't been frozen before using, it would freeze well too.
It didn't all get eaten at the meal and Dad spent the evening finishing it off in little nibbles.  Had I been at home, I'd have frozen it!
I bet it would also be nice mixed with some pulses and shaped into a burger.

Today's food:
B:  porridge with yogurt
L:  as I ended up having tuna salad yesterday, I will have the boiled eggs and carrot batons today.  Knitter Knatter Club has finished now so lunchtimes should be a whole lot easier on Mondays.
D:  turkey hotpot, left over from Saturday; fruit yogurt
Ss:  apples

From the freezer:
Nothing from my freezer but the hotpot was frozen on Saturday evening in my parents' freezer.

The frugal factor:
Porridge is the most frugal cereal you can get and the yogurt is home made.
Eggs are great value too and carrots are cheap.
Dinner is leftovers mostly.
Definitely under £2.00 a day. probably under £1.50 seeing as the Christmas turkey (from which the hotpot was made) was a gift.
So quite a good day, price-wise.




2 comments:

  1. I used to get eggs from a co-worker at my old job, but her neighbor complained to the town so they had to re-home all the chickens. I was happy to find well-priced Organic eggs at Aldi -- which as been a real saver for us. The taste better than the super cheap factory raised eggs. It's amazing how little of a more expensive ingredient (like the sausage) you really need in a dish. Like you, we make left-overs from left-overs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AT one point I used to get eggs from a friend who kept chickens. I no longer do but I shall never forget how absolutely delicious they were. I agree, Aldi's eggs are nice and at the moment Morrisons seems to have a good offer on extra large free range eggs too.
      Yes, all round that stuffing wasn't expensive and I'm thinking that next time I'll make burgers with the recipe as it was definitely more tasty and substantial than the usual kind of stuffing and really nice with mixed herbs rather than sage.
      What a shame your colleague had to stop keeping hens. She must have been gutted!
      J x

      Delete