Saturday 10 March 2018

Saturday, 10-03-18

Good morning!

The beef casserole I had last night was really lovely.  It was just a bog-standard recipe but the beef was skirt and it was cooked very long and slow before being frozen, all of which made for a great flavour and a melt in the mouth texture that's hard to beat.  I'm glad I have a few more portions in the freezer.

Today's plans:
B:  porridge with fruit yogurt
L:  cold meat (I'll see what looks lean in the shop) and salad
D:  fish, SW chips, salad
Ss:  apple, orange

I know I'm having an awful lot of 'chips' at the moment but, using spray oil, they are so low in fat and taste so good and I am allowed them so why not?

Nothing from the freezer today.

The frugal factor:
The biggie is that I'm not paying today!  :-)
Apart from that, really it is just breakfast that is nice and frugal.  The rest isn't outrageously dear but could be cheaper.  It'll all taste good though!

4 comments:

  1. Evening Joy

    I've never heard of 'skirt' beef. Then again, I never choose the red meat (husband is the red meat eater and chooses what he wants. If I don't like the look of it (fatty - yuk), then he's on his own), much prefer chicken and fish. After your account of how it was cooked and how it turned out, I might have a look. I like using my slow cooker, so it would be easy enough to cook (with no mess). I wouldn't worry about having SW chips, as the way you cook them, they are less calories than mash. Besides which, you ARE losing weight, so they must be good for you! :-)

    You are doing so well with the weight loss and it seems that recording what you eat/how you cook it etc., is working for you. Brilliant.

    Have a good evening.

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carol.
      This is what Nigel Slater says:
      "Skirt, a long, flat piece of meat from the belly of the animal, is good for braising or for ragout. A classic ragout is made with meat that has been minced but I also like it cut into very small dice, giving the sauce more body. Slow cooking is the way to go, just a gentle blip as it simmers on a very gentle heat."
      I just cut it into small bite sized pieces and a long time in a slow cooker would be perfect, I think.
      J x

      Delete
  2. Morning Joy

    Thank you for explaining about Skirt (my stomach turned a bit when I read that it's from the belly of the animal - blurgh!). I agree with you about dicing the meat making the meal seem more substantial. Where do you get your ideas/recipes from?

    Have a good day.

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot are just what I know after decades of cooking for myself and, previously, for a family. I read magazines like BBC Good Food, watch foody programmes because I enjoy them and Google around for ideas. And read blogs from people like the two Sues (Cottage and Challenge) where there are some splendid ideas.
      Oh, and help to admin a few foody groups on Facebook.
      You've given me an idea for a post at some point, thanks. :-)
      J x

      Delete