Monday 4 June 2018

Monday, 04-06-18

Good morning!

After yesterday's roast dinner, I now have chicken and ham for my meals this week.  I have ideas but if you have any, please do share them!  I'm always happy to try new recipes.

Here's today's plans:
B:  the same - muesli, strawberries and natural yogurt
L:  chicken and ham salad, coleslaw
D:  chicken, ham and courgette layer bake, perhaps a side salad depending on how much the bake makes; garden strawberries and yogurt
S:  apple
E:  more allotment work

From the freezer.
The courgettes, last years that I sliced and froze.  They need using up as we are planting this year's ones in the allotment on Tuesday and they don't take long to get going!

The frugal factor:
Breakfast is very frugal indeed, only the yogurt costs me anything really.
Because most of the rest is leftovers, it's all very reasonable today and, in fact, all week.  I've already made four meals from the meat and there's plenty left.  No complaints!

The bake is a made up, far from original but I am not consulting any recipe books.  If it works, I'll let you know!  If not, I'll suffer in silence.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. Out of interest, Joy, do you freeze your courgettes cooked or uncooked? I tend to slice and lightly fry them before freezing.

    As for the chicken and ham, how about a savoury crumble, possibly using the Hairy Bikers idea of couscous as the topping? Or cube the meat and stir it through pasta with some soft Philly type cheese? Or a frittata, or with fried rice. I'm sure you've thought of all of those anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slice them, lay them out individually freeze and then bag. No cooking. They do mush rather but that's fine for cooking!
      I'll look up the HB recipe; couscous sounds rather good. Love the other ideas too, thanks very much.

      Delete
  2. Are your strawberries in a greenhouse or cold frame, I'm so jealous you have ripe ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they're just in one of my raised beds but it's quite a sheltered spot, maybe that's it.

      Delete