Wednesday 18 July 2018

Wednesday, 18-07-18

Good morning.

Yesterday's food turned out to be very satisfactory.  Also very satisfying.  And pretty frugal to boot.  Perfect, in fact.

I did add one more thing to the menu.  I wanted to make some coleslaw for both lunch and dinner (the cabbage needed using up) and decided that as I had guests for both meals, I would make my own mayo.

Not for me the drip, drip, drip of oil into egg, beating furiously and always in danger of 'splitting'.  Dear me, no.  You see, I have a Bamix.  What's so special about a Bamix?  Well, you can make mayonnaise in about ten seconds, fool proof, delicious, fresh mayonnaise that keeps for around a fortnight (which means more like three weeks or so really).
It is a stick blender with different 'blades' and one of them is an emulsifier.  I'll explain by linking to a Youtube clip that shows how to make it.  Watch and admire (no, not Ramsey, the mayo making)!
The interesting bit starts at about 1:30 and I used mustard powder rather than made mustard.

It's actually surprisingly frugal too - an egg and 300-ish mls of oil with a few other  bits and bobs.  I used veg oil which is basically rapeseed.  The one oil you mustn't use is olive oil as the action turns the oil bitter.
Extremely calorific but really delicious as a treat now and again.  And I have some that has now to be used up in two or three weeks - oh, the hardship!

Today's food.
B:  overnight oats with fresh fruit and natural yogurt
Very frugal because my lunchtime guest gave me some nectarines yesterday.  I gave her some allotment courgettes in return, nice, sunshiny yellow ones.  We were both satisfied with that.

L:  frittata, salad, coleslaw
All leftovers from yesterday.  Yesterday Beth and I had a quarter of the frittata each, she took another quarter home with her for lunch at work and the last quartet is for my lunch.  Leftovers are great and this one is packed with veg.

D:  fish pie with runner beans and, maybe, yellow courgette
In the freezer I have smoked basa and also some prawns.  I'll make the sauce with some home made soft cheese and the topping will be fresh dug new potatoes, cooked and sliced with a spray of oil over so it sort of browns in the oven or maybe I can sprinkle over some finely grated cheddar.  I've just been out and there are six runners to pick plus a couple that might have grown enough by the end of the day - yes, they grow that fast at this time of year

Today looks like being a pretty frugal day, a day to use up freezer stuff and leftovers and a day for garden produce but, more than that, a most delicious day!
I'll take that with gratitude.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quick. Love Mayo but have to stick to a small spoon every now and again, or the very low calorie stuff......which really isn't Mayo😥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it isn't. That's what I usually have too but occasionally, for a treat . . . :-)

      Delete