Monday 27 August 2018

Monday, 27-08-18

Good morning!

Yesterday's eating was tasty and filling.  I could get used to this except that I feel I am eating so much, I have this uneasy feeling that I really can't be losing weight.  I guess Thursday's weigh in will show the truth of that one.


I made enough balti for two portions so that's now in the freezer for another time.  I'm glad - it was delicious.

Today's plans:
B:  muesli with milk, natural yogurt and fruit
The muesli is still the free stuff, gifted from my parents.  The fruit is leftover from what I got for the fruit salad last Friday.  The yogurt is home made although it came out really runny when I made it yesterday which is odd.  Ah well, can't waste it and pouring yogurt is a thing anyway..
SW:  the yogurt is free, the fruit is 'speed', the milk is part of my healthy extra A and the muesli is my healthy extra B

L:  tomato soup with toasted croutons
I had some chopped tomato left over yesterday so I shall make tomato soup and add a few garden grown tomatoes for extra flavour.
SW:  the soup is free (and inexpensive too), the toast will be four syns.

D:  macaroni cheese with broccoli and runner beans
This is a macaroni cheese with extra veg.  The sauce is one I haven't made before - I have to whisk together stock, tomato puree, cottage cheese, egg and mustard together plus extra cheese that I am using, pour it over the macaroni/veg mixture and bake it.  I'm not convinced, it sounds more like a savoury custard really; I'll let you know!
Most pasta/vegetarian dishes are great value and this is no exception.
SW:  all free apart from the cheese which is partly healthy extra A and partly syn.

Ss:  fruit and tomatoes

Assuming the dinner works out OK, it should be another delicious and frugal day

A bit about SW 'free' foods - just skip this if you're not interested.
Free foods are not, as it sounds at first reading, free from calories (I wish), they are foods that you can eat freely without 'counting' them.  There's no need to weigh them (unless necessary for a recipe, of course).
They include most fruit, all vegetables including potatoes, fish including oily fish, lean meat and poultry, vegetable proteins, some dairy, eggs, rice, pasta and grains, beans, peas and lentils plus most seasonings, herbs and spices, tea, coffee, etc, (milk from allowance) . . .
It's very wide ranging and, for me, the danger is that I thought is would be easy to over-eat, but in reality it is very filling and the expectation is that at least a third of the meal is 'speed' free foods, basically most veg and fruit.

Not having the weigh and measure certainly makes life easier.  So when I say something is 'free' that's what I mean now.  It's gastronomic, not economic!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the explanation of free foods, Joy. I did do SW many (many!) years ago and it's certainly very different now. Back then they had 'Green' days and 'Red' days - green was mostly vegetarian, red mostly meat, if I remember rightly. I lost about 2 1/2 stones on it, I think. I'm not too sure I like the sound of that 'savoury custard' for the macaroni, I hope it works out ok and tastes better than it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of old SW cookery books - I think I found them in charity shops - and they talk about red and green days. I never really saw the sense of it and much prefer how it is now.
      Re the macaroni - me too, believe me! :-) One has to try things out though and at least it is nutritious!
      I'll let you know.

      Delete
  2. The balti looks delicious.

    Thanks for the explanation of free foods, a couple of friends follow SW but I've never quite understood the system, you've cleared a few things up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the courgette glut continues I'm making Nigella's "happiness soup" for lunch (courgette, lemon,rice and turmeric). I suspect it would fit in the SW plan well.

    ReplyDelete