Sunday 12 August 2018

Sunday, 12-08-18

Good morning!

Today's plans are
B:  oat galettes and fried tomatoes
The tomatoes are home grown and to fry them I first of all remove the skins by pouring over boiling water and leaving them for about 20 seconds after which the skins just slip off.  I spray a pan, add the tomatoes, spray the tomatoes and let them sizzle.  It works well for minimal fat.

L:  fish finger salad pitta
As described in an earlier post.  Scrummy!  Pitta and fish fingers are from the freezer.

D:  Keralan chicken curry
This is a curry kit that I've had for ages and which really does need using.  I shall add extra veg and the chicken and some of the veg will be from the freezer as well as from garden/allotment (runners and courgettes)

Ss:  fruit x 2

I was round a friend's house  and she had two thirds of a better quality sliced loaf that she was going to chuck because it was past date.  The bread looked and felt perfectly fresh but I couldn't persuade her to keep it so I brought it home and popped it in the freezer and it will do me for toasties, etc.

6 comments:

  1. Morning Joy! We had your fish finger pitta for lunch yesterday, only I used 2 breaded cod steaks from the freezer as we had no fish fingers. Wholemeal pittas, Little Gem lettuce, cucumber from our garden and light mayo, oh it was lovely. Husband, who generally orders a filet o fish from MaccyD's on the rare occasions we go there, said 'we'll have this again please'. Next time I'll put a slice of Swiss cheese in as well. Thanks Joy.

    Why people don't think to freeze bread I really don't know - still, a bonus for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it went down so well. A good idea to use a steak instead - I'm sure it was just as nice and fish is so good for you. They do have to be breaded or battered though, just the fish wouldn't be nearly the same!

      I tend to make my own bread rather than buy it and I'm not eating much bread at the moment but I'm never adverse to some freebies!

      xx

      Delete
  2. GF bread (homemade and shop bought) really doesn't keep as long as 'normal' bread so I always freeze my bread. I have also been known to rescue food people would throw out!!

    Did you know you can dry tomato skins? Not having had any success growing tomatoes for ages now I've not tried it. You can dehydrate them then grind them to a powder and add it to dishes to give a tomato flavour. I found this fab tutorial on Pinterest and saved it for the day I had a glut!!

    https://brooklynfarmgirl.com/how-to-make-tomato-powder-out-of-tomato-skins/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't. WHat an interesting thing - thanks, Ali, I may very well give this a go. Now where did I put my dehydrator?

      To be honest, I freeze all my bread or it would go stale before it was eaten. Also out of sight, out of mind, as the saying goes. :-)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Cute and yummy menu! Easy and healthy one:)

    ReplyDelete