Tuesday 28 August 2018

Tuesday, 28-08-18

Good morning.

This very simple almost ad hoc tomato soup I made yesterday was so delicious, made better by the toasted croutons.  So simple to make - I just cut a slice of bread into cubes, turned the oven on to the temperature I would use to heat plates, put the cubes of bread on a parchment covered baking sheet and left them in until all try and crunchy.  No oil.  Some seasoning would be nice and I will use some next time.
And I have a bit of soup left so that will do as a snack tomorrow - it's not enough for a meal.
SW: 4 syns for the croutons


The cheese thing was surprisingly good.  I really enjoyed it but one portion (as in the photo) was way, way too much so I guess I will find out if it freezes well.   It certainly wasn't a sauce, it sort of set but it was cheesy enough and the texture was fine; I think it should be a 'bake' - macaroni cheese bake.  Next time I will add veg - broccoli or cauliflower, for example.
SW:  3/4 of  healthy extra A, 4 syns for extra cheese


When I was in Sainsburys, I saw some very lean pork mince so I got some to make some home made sausages.  500g made ten sausages, nine for the freezer and one for my breakfast.  Free on SW, of course  ;-).  I'll post about them IF it's good enough.  I tried a little bit (cooked) to check seasonings and it was tasty but we will see.
If it works, there are endless flavour possibilities!
SW:  free


Today's plans:
B:  I'm having a 'cooked breakfast' today:  scrambled egg, bacon medallions, that sausage, tomatoes and mushrooms plus a slice of toast (which was going to be for lunch but as it is a healthy extra, I must have it.
Not really frugal but actually not terribly expensive either and bound to be extremely filling.
SW:  mostly free with some speed food and a healthy extra B

L:  I was going to have boiled eggs and toasty soldiers until I remembered that I'm out with grandson for a 'nice, healthy walk', aka a stroll around Hylands gardens.  That being so, I will load up with fruit and Alex can have a snack from the little shop.  I might be lavish and get a coffee for myself.
So that's 'free' on SW.

D:  cheesy jacket potato and salad, side salad
I have some quite small 'old' potatoes that will bake without any trouble and even with cheese and a salad, it's another frugal meal.
SW:  Mostly free food while the cheese is my healthy extra A today - 40g of reduced fat cheddar is quite sufficient for a nice cheesy flavour.  I've counted three tbsp of very light mayo as syns as I dearly love it mashed with cheesy potato as well as on salads.

Ss:  Apple, tomatoes, strawberries


SW info:  speed food
More or less quoting from the book they gave me, speed foods are those free foods that are very low in calories.  So basically most fruit and veg are a Very Good Thing - as if we didn't already know.
You are recommended to have at least a third of the plate with speed foods at most meals.  So my breakfast with the tomatoes and the  mushroom is fine, as is dinner with the salad.  Lunch is a bit snatched but that's life.

Just sound sense really - this eating plan is certainly good on getting your f&v.



No comments:

Post a Comment