Wednesday 15 August 2018

Wednesday

Good morning!
Yesterday's food mostly went well.  I had a few baked beans and a bit of mash left over so I whisked the mash into the eggs for the frittata and rinsed the beans and added them to the veg and it all worked well.  A bit of mash is nice in a frittata, I have discovered!
The only slightly not good thing was that I totally forgot to have breakfast.  I had something scheduled for 8:30 so decided to have breakfast after that but it just went out of my mind.  I couldn't have been all that peckish, could I?

Today's food
B:  what I should have had yesterday - overnight oats, pear and yogurt
Healthy and frugal!

L:  home made tomato soup and a bit of left over frittata
I have loads of tomatoes from the garden now so using some of them to make a delicious soup sounds not only frugal but also absolutely delicious.  The frittata is left over from yesterday and ought to be eaten.

D:  chicken pasta in a spicy tomato sauce, runner beans
It's a tomato-ey day today, isn't it?  This uses tinned chopped tomatoes, the chillies are from the freezer, grown a while ago, loadsa veg (courgette and baby corn) from the allotment and the chicken is already cooked and frozen in stock so the stock will go in the sauce.  The runners are garden grown.

We went to the allotment yesterday and came back with a stack of veg and a bit of fruit, Beth and I) which we divvied up.  Delicious!


4 comments:

  1. It's so nice when we have so much of our own produce, isn't it? We have frittata about once a week, warm for dinner one evening, then cold for lunch the next day. We actually prefer it cold...well, room temperature, I take it out of the fridge about an hour beforehand. I always put cooked sliced potatoes and a bit of grated cheese in, the rest of the content differs according to what veg or bits of meat I have leftover in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful for using up leftovers and bits and bobs. I don't add meat when I'm making it for Beth as she's vegetarian but do when it's just for me.
      I agree - room temp is best! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I think it's always a good thing to use any food you have left-over. Waste is bad!

    I did buy a large can of tomato/vegetable juice at a dollar store here. I was looking at the label and it had a recipe for tomato soup. So for a buck a can, I think I might try that. I love tomato soup! Alas, we have no luck growing tomatoes -- it is sad that I would resort to a can of juice to make soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think it will make a lovely soup or the base for a veg soup - sort of minestrone type. Good luck - let me know how it goes, won't you?

      Delete