Friday 3 August 2018

What are overnight oats?

I just got asked this and here's what I do.  There are other methods but this is mine.

I use ordinary oats, the kind you use to make porridge.

I weigh out 100g and put them in a jar.
Then I add some milk and some yogurt and mix it in.  It can be just milk, just yogurt, it can be fruit juice instead.  I happen to like milk and yogurt.  I'm afraid I don't weigh the liquid out but you need enough to cover the oats really.

Then I pop on the lid and into the fridge it goes to sit overnight.

And that's it!

Come the morning I spoon out about a third of the now lovely, creamy, soft oats and I add something to sweeten (stevia, fruit, honey . . .) and more yogurt.
Oh, it's lovely!

It keeps in the fridge for about five days, maybe longer but it never needs to last longer than that in my house.

If you Google 'overnight oats recipe' there are loads of ideas out there.   Here's a link to the ever-fantastic BBC Good Food site.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/best-healthy-overnight-oat-recipes

9 comments:

  1. Another huge overnight oats fan here!! Healthy, filling and frugal :-) I add chia seeds to mine (wee bit of extra protein and good to keep, ahem, 'things' moving.)

    If you search for overnight oats on Youtube you'll find loads of brilliant ideas as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used chia seeds - they are quite trendy at the moment, aren't they? xx

      Delete
    2. Yep but I was using them for my IBS before they became a trendy superfood!! Then they shot up in price. I stock up when Sainsbury's have them on offer

      Delete
    3. Now that's a right pain for you. :-(

      Delete
    4. Thanks so much. I love porridge and fruit every morning so this will be ideal for my summer breakfasts - and great idea to make several days worth.

      Delete
  2. I've never made enough for several days in advance, we make it fresh every night. Must try it your way. I use soya milk and add a handful of raisins to it at night, husband adds a little more milk to his in the morning, I have a spoonful of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of flaked almonds on mine. We both have berries too if there's any fresh available, or if I've remembered to get some out of the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept forgetting the night before so this way suits me well. xx

      Delete
  3. Afternoon Joy

    Although I don't always comment, I do read your blog (via email) and there's always something of interest to read.


    Could I ask a question - what pitta bread do you use (the one in your photo)? It looks lovely. I have just finished a pack of wholemeal pitta bread and won't be buying them again(they seem to 'crack' and/or have holes in them when I slice them to make a sandwich). I use the Misson small wraps and they're lovely (get them on special and they can be separated in their frozen state without cracking - good on calories too), but sometimes fancy a pitta bread.

    Keep on with your food diary - we all need to chivvy one another along in the 'battle of the bulge' :-D


    Have a good weekend.


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carol. Thank you for your lovely comment about the blog - most appreciated.
      I just get the Morrisons pitta bread - what I have at the moment was YS. Maybe it's freezing them - I always wrap them separately in easy leave and then freeze. They always seem lovely and soft when just thawed (and they don't take long to thaw either). Wraps are nice too, I agree, although I never seem to be able to wrap them properly!
      I will keep on - it helps a lot! :-)
      xx

      Delete