Monday 1 October 2018

Recipe: baked tomato and mozzarella orzo

I found this in the BBC Good Food magazine and I made it straight (apart from halving the quantity and omitting the olive oil).

I can't find a link so I'll give it to you here.

Ingredients to serve 1
75g orzo
1 roasted red pepper from a jar, roughly chopped
eight olives, halved
pinch chilli powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
half a tin chopped tomato and 1/4 of the tin of water
a good squidge of garlic (to taste really.
50g mozzarella
seasonings

Method
Head oven to 180C fan

Tip the orzo into an oven proof dish, add the peppers, olives, chilli and oregano.  Tip in the chopped tomatoes and water, season and mix well.
Cover and bake for about 20 mins until the orzo is nearly cooked.  Then remove the foil, give it a good stir and bake for another five minutes.

Heat the grill to high, tear the mozzarella over the top and grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling.  Then eat straight away.

. . . which I did and it was gorgeous, despite the very simple range of ingredients.  It was filling, tasty, 'creamy', satisfying comfort food.

It's also open to being adapted.  It would be lovely with more veg, maybe sauted beforehand.  Onion, mushroom, baby corn . . .
It would also be delicious with a meat elemment added - cooked chicken, chorizo, ham . . .

I'm definitely having it again!
(and it was so tasty, I forgot to take a photo!)

(SW: I used the mozzarella as my healthy extra A; the rest was free)




No comments:

Post a Comment