Sunday 29 January 2017

Recipe: an a-peel-ing soup

Actually, the thought of it it not necessarily all that appealing but it's worked out great.

On Feed Yourself for a Pound a Day, people often mention using clean vegetable peelings to make soup.  As I had just prepped the vegetables for a Sunday dinner for four, I thought I'd give it a go rather than compost them.  This is what I did.

Ingredients to make four portions
Veg peelings as above - free
half an onion, chopped - 5p
2 stock cubes (Aldi's Quixo) - 6p
50g red lentils - 13p
dollop of marmite - 10p (an estimate as I have no idea really - it might be less, I doubt it would be more)!
splash of milk - apf
(these amounts will vary according to how much veg peeling you have

herbs, pepper

Method.
Bung it all in together apart from the milk.  Cover with boiling water.  Bring back to a boil and simmer, covered, until the lentils are cooked (15 to 20 mins).
Zizz with a stick blender or in a zizzing machine, then add the milk and mix well.  If too thick, add more milk or some water.  Adjust seasonings to suit personal taste.

With the amounts above the total is 34p which is  just over 8p per portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment