Wednesday 3 May 2017

Recipe: cauliflower curry

Another one that started from a Miguel Barclay You Tube video and here's the link with apologies for the advert at the beginning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXYs8_qLyI

However, I adapted it and it was delicious.  I'm afraid I ate it all before remembering to take a photo, sorry.
This is what I did.

Ingredients:
Rice for one - I cooked 50g

A splash of oil (I used veg oil)
Half a small or a quarter of a bigger onion, peeled and sliced
A few mushrooms, chopped.
About a quarter of a cauliflower, cut into smallish florets
one tsp each of curry powder*, turmeric and, if you have it, coconut milk powder.
1 tsp plain flour
50 mls single or double cream (optional - I had a small yellow sticker pot of double cream and I used 1/3 of it - you could just use milk and it would be fine)
Milk
salt, pepper
20g peanut butter

Method
Start cooking the rice.

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion and mushrooms.  Then add the cauliflower and continue frying until the cauliflower starts taking on some colour.
Add the curry powder, turmeric and coconut powder, if using it,  Stir well to coat the vegetables.
Then add the flour and continue stirring well.

Add the cream and a little milk and stir it in.  Keep adding milk, stirring, as the mixture thickens, until you have a nice, creamy sauce.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Turn down really low, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is softening.  Add a splash of water, if it gets too thick.

Finally, check seasonings and stir in the peanut butter.
Serve on the cooked rice.

* I used quite a mild curry sauce but hotter would work well too.  Go with your preferred heat

You could use any veg as long as they cooked in the time.  I was tempted to add peas but couldn't be bothered to go out to the freezer in the rain!  Chicken would be nice too, maybe cooked chicken left after a roast dinner.  Chick peas is another idea.

With all the ingredients I had in and used, not counting the cost of the things I had already paid for,  this meal took 39p out of my budget, which is great.



1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good! I'm rubbish at making curries but I will be trying this one as soon as I can pick up a Cauliflower. I think it sounds like chickpeas and/or green beans would be great additions!

    ReplyDelete