Friday 12 May 2017

Recipe: kidney bean and vegetable curry

I don;t really have amounts, I just used what I had and winged it as far as how much was concerned.  All I can say is what I used (not including any already paid fors) came to £1.36 and I got five big, tasty and filling portions from it - 27p for four and 28p for the last one.

Ingredients
two onions, peeled and sliced
veg oil
some carrots, cauliflower, celery, green peppers, all prepped and chopped, sliced or segmented
five new potatoes, medium sized, washed and cut into largish dice (I didn't peel them)
garlic puree
chilli puree
a Morrisons Savers jar of curry sauce
some Mayflower curry powder.
some dried coconut milk
a veg stock cube
water
salt, pepper

Method
Cook the onion long and low in the oil (about half an hour)
Add the veg and potatoes and saute them for about five minutes.  In the last minute, add the garlic and chilli purees.
Add the curry powder and the dried coconut milk and stir in, then add the stock cube, the jar of curry sauce and another jar of water.
Add some black pepper, bring to a gentle simmer, cover and leave to bubble away gently, stirring now and again.  I left it on for about an hour and a half - a slow cooker over a longer time would work fine too.  Halfway through, add the rinsed and drained kidney beans (again, value ones), stir gently, recover and continue simmering.

Before serving, taste and add some salt if needed - I didn't think it was.
Really nice and you could always add some shreds of leftover meat, if you wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment