Sunday 12 February 2017

Recipe: Jack Monroe's peanut granola


I first made this, very tentatively, after Jack first posted it on her incomparably fantastic blog which was then called 'A girl Called Jack'.  I loved it and have made it on and off ever since.

You can find it here:
https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2016/02/22/peanut-butter-and-honey-granola-10p/
It's a brilliant site: please do visit and take a stroll around.  Jack's a character and the fecipes are amazing!

I have some in my fridge and I was avoiding using it while on the 30-30 challenge because I didn't know the cost.  Then I told myself not to be stupid, sat down and worked it all out.  It fits well into the Pound a Day ethos so here it is.
I have repriced everything as I use different brands and also I think my portions must be a lot smaller than Jack's as I make it last for more than the 8 portions they make it last for.  I've weighed it up and worked out that it is just under 6p for the 50g portion that I have.  I can live with that!
I love it with a good portion of my home made natural yogurt.  It's the best!

Ingredients to make ten portions at 6p a portion
30ml vegetable oil - 4p
65g peanut butter (Morrison's Savers) - 12p
100g golden syrup (Sainsbury's own) - 18p
300g oats - 23p

Method
Preheat oven to 180C
Heat the first three ingredients, stirring well, until it is all runny and amalgamated.
Add the oats and stir well until completely coated.

Grease a baking tray or line it with parchment.
Tip in the mixture and gently flatten it down.
Bake in the oven for 15 mins.  Allow to cool.

Break and crumble into bits and keep in an airtight container.  Jack says it lasts for 2 months in the fridge.  I've kept it longer and it's fine!

Optional extras.  You could add chopped nuts or seeds (pumpkin and sunflower seeds are gorgeous in this) but I wouldn't add dried fruit before cooking, only when serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment