Saturday 1 July 2017

Recipe: pork, courgette and potato bake

Just look what I came home with from the allotment!


First fruits - well, my first fruits anyway - Beth (daughter) has already had a couple of courgettes and some chard.

Of course, my dinner plans changed and this is what I did.


I used:
a bit of butter
the leftover pork cut into mouth-sized bits
a small onion, sliced 
a small orange pepper, de-seeded and sliced
two mushrooms, sliced
some garlic granules
some tomato sauce (passata that I had reduced down) made with garden tomatoes last year (freezer),
salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs
some of the potatoes, boiled and sliced
yellow courgette, sliced thinly
finely grated cheese (it goes much further if you finely grate it)

What I did:
I boiled the potatoes, set them aside to cool and then sliced them

I fried the onion, pepper and mushrooms in butter, adding garlic granules towards the end.  Then I added the tomato sauce, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and let it bubble briefly.  I spooned half off for another day, then added the pork.

I buttered the base of a small lasagne dish and spread over half of the courgette, then added a tiny bit of salt, some pepper and a bit of grated cheese.  On top of that went the pork and tomato sauce, then more of the courgette slices, more seasoning, the sliced potato and finally the rest of the grated cheese.

I baked it in the oven at about 170C for around half an hour until the top was brown and the sauce all bubbly.
I ate just over half last night and the rest is for lunch today so that little belly pork joint has done four good meals.


The sauce can contain anything - different meat, no meat, different veg, all to your own taste or what's available, so it's a nice, flexible recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment