Thursday 12 October 2017

Recipe: savoury crumble topping

In this dish, the bottom can be whatever you fancy in the savoury line, as long as it has a sauce.  SO chicken and mushroom, vegetable, mince, beef, whatever.

I'm afraid I make the topping by eye.  No measuring involved.
So I looked it up and basically this is it.  I make less but it does freeze very well so to make a batch and use it as and when would work well and when I have finished my challenge, that's what I will do.

Savoury crumble topping
Ingredients
200g plain flour
100g (or a bit less) softened butter (or similar)
50g finely grated cheddar
handful of porridge oats
black pepper
a good pinch of mustard powder
(no need for salt because of the butter and the cheese)

Method
Rub the butter into the flour until; it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.  Check that the cheese hasn't stuck together.


Then all you do is put the base in whatever dish you are using (oven proof), sprinkle over the topping (to about 1cm thickness or a little less), put it on a baking tray to avoid any leakage and bake for around half an hour at about 180C.  It's not exact.  It is done when the topping has browned and the base is bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment