Wednesday 19 April 2017

Recipe: how to make frugal pastry

I need to make a bit of pastry today.  Not a lot, just enough for a one person pie topping and made with oil, not butter/trex, which adds on the pennies.  After asking in the Facebook Feed Yourself for a Pound a Day about how much oil Pat or Lesley uses, I was pointed towards the relevant recipe.

I'm not going to reproduce it here as it's someone else's recipe on someone else's blog/site but here is the link.  Scroll down until you get to the part that is about making the pastry.

http://www.thriftylesley.com/bacon-sweetcorn-pie-mash-and-peas-32p-a-serving/

While I'm at it, if you are serious about cutting meal costs, Lesley's site is an absolute must, packed as it is with recipes and ideas.  Take a look and you'll see what I mean.
And, of course, so is the Facebook Group.  Not that I am biased or anything.  😊


Edited to update:

It was delicious.  Not soft, buttery, melt-in-the-mouth pastry but crisp, light, float-in-the-air pastry, prefect for a savoury pie topping (or a quiche bottom, come to that - gotta try one soon).
I used 50g SR flour, 25mls oil and 25mls water to make a soft, easily worked dough that didn't need chilling and that behaved itself perfectly.  It was a bit too much for one so next time I will try 40-20-20 or even 30-15-15 (easier on the measuring) and see if that is a better amount for one.  No idea of the calories but the pastry I made yesterday that was too much cost 5p.  If I have pastry, I don't have spuds so more or less equal in value.

I wish I had taken a photo.  Must remember next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment