Thursday 13 April 2017

Recipe: plum jam with star anise

I tidied up my fridge this morning and used some rather wizened plums to make the most delicious jam at 70p for the lot!

This is what I did.

I stoned the plums by cutting into quarters.  I then added a dash of water and one star anise and stewed them in a large pan until they were all soft.  Then I removed the star anise.

I measured how much I had (it very conveniently came to a pint) and used the old rule 'a pound to a pint'.  Plums are high in pectin so you can use ordinary sugar - no need for lemon juice or the very expensive jam sugar.

I tipped the plums back into the pan (it has to be a large pan) and added the pound of sugar, stirred it well and left it so the sugar dissolved into the hot stewed plums.

While that was going on, I thoroughly washed some reused jam jars and lids and put the jars on an oven tray in the oven at a low temperature to warm up.  I then popped two saucers in the fridge (to test for set).

I turned the ring onto high and let the mix come to a boil and a bubble for about five minutes, stirring regularly (or it will stick and burn).

After five minutes I took the pan off the ring and tested for setting point.  Rather than try to explain to those of you who don't know what this is, I will point you to the clearest description online I have ever found.  It's called the wrinkle test.
http://www.kilnerjar.co.uk/setting-points

Mine had reached setting point but if it hadn't I'd have boiled it for another five minutes and then tested again.

I took the jars out of the oven and carefully, very carefully ladled the jam into the jars and screwed on the lids.  I will label them when they're cold.

That'll do for my breakfast toast or porridge, thank you very much!


No comments:

Post a Comment