Tuesday 17 July 2018

Tuesday, 17-07-18

Good morning.  Back into the swing of things after a pleasant weekend with my parents.

Today's plans:
B:  muesli, fruit and natural yogurt
The muesli is a gift from dad.  He tried to give me another bag this weekend but I still have loads from the previous one.  It's really good muesli, mail order only and I'm very lucky. 


The fruit will be the raspberries and blueberries above, all picked from garden and allotment.  There's not loads but they're very delicious.  As the raspberry canes are first year autumn fruiting, what I am getting now is this year only but the new growth is starting to flower prolifically for the autumn fruiting - first time fruit is so exciting!  The yogurt is home made from long life milk so a batch costs under £1 per litre (plus a bit of electricity) which is great value.
So it sounds a posh breakfast but it's actually very frugal!

L:  tuna salad.
I have a friend around for lunch but no need to go bonkers.  I shall mix the tuna with some mayo to spread on crispbread and make up a salad to go with it.  I have everything in; no need to go shopping beforehand.

D:  frittata with new potatoes and salad
Beth (daughter) and I will be having a picnic down the allotment so I will boil up the rest of the new potatoes I dug yesterday, make a frittata with assorted fridge rubble and courgettes cut yesterday, and I'll use more of the salad.    Note to self:  make plenty of salad today!
The frittata is so simple. 
I soften the veg in a little spray oil in a frying pan that can go in the oven (it has a removable handle) - I tend to use onion, red or yellow pepper and mushroom as a base and then anything else I have available.  No meat today as it needs to be vegetarian.  Then I pour over beaten egg with a bit of milk, seasonings, etc, and sometimes some finely grated cheese and bung it into a 180C oven for about 20 mins or so, until set and browned.
It's nice hot or cold so, for a picnic, it is perfect!

S:  apples x 2 - or I may use them a dessert as it's quite a busy day so I won't have all that much time between meals

Nothing from the freezer today - no, I tell a lie; if I add cheese to the frittata, that will be from the freezer!  That's all though.  Emptying the freezer isn't so urgent now, though, as I have plenty of room for this year's produce.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We didn't in the end - it turned dull and humid and we decided to water and pick and then come back. Maybe next week . . . weather permitting.

      Delete
  2. Frittata...one of the most useful recipes ever.
    A best friend to frugality!
    A lot of my leftovers go this way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy and so tasty and - yes - extremely frugal. I love it!

      Delete