Thursday 18 January 2018

Five Frugal Fings

Here we go again.  A recap on five ways in which I have been (or have tried to be) frugal this week.

(thought I'd go pretty with my divider this week!)
1.  I'm on a longer term mission to use up all the old stuff in my freezer and this week I really feel I'm getting somewhere again after the Christmas/New Year blip.  Spaces are appearing as little pots and packets get taken out and used up and, apart from fresh stuff, I've not needed to shop much at all, the bank balance reflecting that rather nicely.  There's a long way to go still but that's OK, more cash into the old savings at the end of each month when I do my bigger reckoning.
2.  I mentioned about the electricity credit and the significant reduction in my monthly payments until July and, as I know it will go up again then, I've been looking to find ways of saving a bit more.  One thing I am really bad at is turning off lights so I have been making an effort to remember to switch off as I leave each room.  There's plenty of room for improvement - I've just got up to turn off the landing light and the light in the other half of this room - but, as the saying goes, every little helps.
3.  At the moment I'm having to make car journeys quite often.  It's only about seventy five minutes each way but petrol costs mount up so I've been thinking I ought to walk more locally instead of taking the car.  Now that my weight is slowly going down, my bad ankle isn't hurting so much (surprise, surprise) so I ought to be able to walk further without limping.  I could walk to Morrisons instead of driving unless I know there will be heavy bags.
I'll be honest and say that I haven't really started this.  Walking isn't a favoured thing because my ankle hurts so much afterwards, but I must hunt for some motivation.  If you have any, please send it over.  Thanks!
4.  I haven't thrown away any leftovers all week!    They've all been used up next day.  On the other hand, I have just had to throw away a yogurt that was hidden behind other things and which was too old for comfort so that's not good at all.  There's always room for improvement, isn't there?
5.  This weeks meal planning shows two fish based dinners and one vegetarian dinner which isn't bad.  I'd really like to aim for two fish and two vegetarian but I'm getting there, slowly.  Lunches have been mostly home made soups which are always very frugal and breakfasts have been porridge (dead cheap, even with added fruit) or muesli, which was a gift.  Everything has been made from scratch and has been low fat so I'm really rather pleased with the way this week has gone.
Here's to frugality!


2 comments:

  1. My worst 'crime' is using the car but I value my time more than the little I would save in fuel as I am currently doing only 60-70 miles a week unless I visit my daughter which I do about once every six weeks - 100 mile round trip.
    My best thing is using leftovers. I'm good at that, but there is too much in my freezer that's been there for too long so January is a use-it-up month and is going fairly well. I mostly cook from scratch and eat vegi more often than meat. My husband objects though and eats meat or fish almost very day.
    I'm ok with lights but use the tumble dryer a lot. I hate damp washing being around though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some protein but am more than happy with pulse based meals. However, I have to use up the freezer stuff and it's slow going when it's just one. :-)
      J x

      Delete