Friday 26 January 2018

Friday, 26-01-18

Good morning!
I enjoyed the haggis meal last night although next time I will choose veg that have more colour to them as it was a very brown and beige plate of food.


After I had stewed the morning plums, I had some syrup left so later on I made it up to 250g with some apple juice and turned it into a jelly.  It was absolutely delicious.  Sometimes I add a star anise to plums and I wish I had done that yesterday because that would have been good too.  Next time. . .

Today's menu
B:  porridge, mango, natural yogurt
L:  leek, potato and lentil soup, small watercress salad
D:  home made fish fingers, potato chunk chips, mushy peas, elderflower jelly
Ss:  apple and orange

From the freezer:
Leeks for the soup
The fish for the fish fingers.
The mushy peas which are very mushy as I slightly (cough) overcooked them!

The frugal factor:
The fruit for the porridge is some of a YS mango which is rather soft but will be fine mashed into porridge which, itself, is the most frugal breakfast out.  The yogurt is home made.
The soup is home made too
The fish for the fish fingers is pollack and the 'breadcrumbs are partly left over crumble topping mixed with breadcrumbs made with half a slice of bread saved from yesterday's lunchtime toast - thinking ahead, you see.
The potato chunk chips are so called because I'm making them, from the garden potatoes dug up t'other day and some of them are too small to make chips or even reasonable sized wedges - so 'chunks' they shall be!  They're all made the same way anyway!
(note to self - check if there are any more potatoes out there)

The elderflower jelly is going to be made with a little bit of elderflower cordial that I have had in the fridge for rather a long time and which ought to be used up.  Should be a refreshing end to dinner.

Later Edit:
I've just dealt with the mango and, to my surprise, all the bits that felt super mushy and which I expected to have to cut out and chuck are, in fact perfectly sound, just gloriously soft and juicy.  As a result, I have more mango that I thought I would have so dessert has changed from the jelly (tomorrow now) to mango and yogurt.  Yum.



8 comments:

  1. That,s my dinner sorted then, I have fish and breadcrumbs in the freezer, and some Elderflower cordial in the fridge. I can pickup some leaf gelatin when I shop. I was wondering what to make for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just edited because the mango was completely sound and I didn't have to cut any bad bits off, so the jelly will be tomorrow instead. I'm looking forward to the fish and chips, mind you - the fish tastes so much better when crumbed at home. Hope you enjoy it as much as I will.
      J x

      Delete
  2. Good thinking on the plum syrup being used for yesterdays jelly. It sounds delicious. I used to love jelly ... especially with squirty cream 😊

    And it's little things, like saving some of your toast to make breadcrumbs, that make meals truly frugal. I love purposeful leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those little tricks too. It's really along the same line as 'look after the pennies . . .'. Look after the breadcrumbs and the loaves will look after themselves. :-)
      J x

      Delete
  3. Love mangoes but they are a bit pricey unless I score a yellow sticker one. I've been using frozen mango chunks (from Sainsbergs)just taking out what I need each time. They're quite good and I can make a bag last for ages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pricey, yes, and buying the frozen fruit is a great way to have mango. It's such delicious stuff. They had more today so I got another one. Someone has obviously been over-purchasing!
      J x

      Delete
  4. I have porridge almost every morning too. I love to vary the fruit but a simple sliced banana is probably my favourite. For years and years I didn't eat breakfast. I couldn't face it when I was leaving the house early to drive at least 20 miles, often a lot more.. Then I used to eat a cereal bar and a banana mid morning. Now I work just three mornings and don't need to leave until 8.50am, I really enjoy my breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such good stuff, warming, nourishing, clear-conscience food and it really sets me up for the morning. I don't have it too early, I wait until around eight or later and occasionally I get working at something and just forget! When I was working, some of my colleagues did the same as you and took something into school to eat later on.
      J x

      Delete