Saturday 27 January 2018

Ooops: Five Frugal Fings

I forgot yesterday.  Eeek!

1.  I used some left over plum juice to make a delicious jelly.  I've discovered that one and a half sheets of leaf gelatin is fine for 200 mls liquid and will be trying just one sheet next time.  I always pour it into a glass dish anyway so it doesn'#t have to be firm, just - well - jellied!

2.  I'm still remembering to run the dishwasher overnight on the cheaper rate.  I forgot once but that's all.  It won't be saving much each time but times that by maybe around 300 plus washes over the year and it will mount up.

3.  This is really advanced frugality but I've started getting the garden sorted for this year's vegetables and fruit.  Thanks to both Sues for inspiring me.

4.  I went into town today and came back with a skirt pattern.  Paper patterns are flippin' expensive nowadays but this was half price and is one I will use again and again, very simple but nicely shaped and in five different sizes.  I have fabric in the cupboard too!  Over time this will save me money.

5.  I used a bit of leftover savoury crumble mix (flour, cheese and not-butter plus seasonings) with half a slice of fresh breadcrumbs to make a crumb coating for fish and it was lovely.  I'd have thrown away the crumble topping otherwise because it wasn't even enough for one titchy portion.

6 comments:

  1. All those little savings add up to a tidy sum at the end of the year. I save every little scrap and get it used or frozen each week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to, doesn't it? Each little saving isn't much and you don;t always notice but if you throw it out it is like throwing money out.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to hold back from doing too much in the garden, especially if your ground is very wet. The worms will be near the surface and shouldn't be disturbed, and also you can damage or lose the soil structure if you dig very wet ground. But now is the ideal time for planning which seeds to sow and where they will eventually grow and the best frugal thing you can do is to plan a good herb bed, it will save you a fortune and make for some very tasty meals in a couple of months.

    Also find any pots or things you can use pots and get them ready for action. Holes made in the bottom of old buckets or large tins for drainage mean you can use all sorts of things instead of buying new pots. I'm even intending to grow in my old wellies this year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, thank you. I do have to do some clearing though, it is such a mess, especially the containers. I have a basic herb bed - chives, thyme, rosemary, oregano and a lovely bay in a pot - oh, and pots of mint too. Some are dormant at the moment, of course, but I use the bay and the rosemary a lot.
      It's been chucking it down today so I've stayed indoors. The mess will have to wait!
      J x

      Delete
  4. Aside from saving money, I hate waste of any kind. I can be very inventive with food leftovers. It's a nice thought though that it saves money too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of the tastiest meals are made with leftovers. They challenge us to be inventive, don't they?
      J x

      Delete