Wednesday 24 January 2018

Recipe: savoury crumble

For the crumble topping:
50g plain flour
20g butter or compromise with something like Beautifully Butterly (Aldi)
10g finely grated Not-Parmesan (I had a tiny piece left and actually it was 9g)
pinch of salt, mustard powder and dried herbs
bit of ground black pepper

Method:
Rub the fat into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.  Stir in the other ingredients.
That's it!

I sometimes add some oats too which give it a more robust texture - but not today.
Very tasty and very frugal.

The above quantities were aimed for one portion (I measured them out this time whereas I normally just do it by eye) but I had a bit left over so I think 40g flour and about 18g of fat would be just about right.

I shall use this with a few added breadcrumbs when I make fish fingers, planned for later in the week.  No point wasting it!


To make the dish:
You need:
crumble topping as above
something for the base.  I used a bean and veg mixture and added two chicken chipolatas (YS, low fat, perfick!), each cut into five bits and dry fried until more or less cooked through.

Put the tomato mixture and sausage pieces in an ovenproof dish and spread evenly.


Spoon over the topping and spread it over.  Give it a little shake to level it off.


Bake at about 200C (it's not all that fussy) for about 30 mins until the topping is browned by which time the underneath should be bubbling.


Serve with veg and enjoy.



You can use all sorts of variations.  It's nice with a savoury mince and it's also nice with a fish pie mixture.  Lots of options.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. :-) It was really tasty and filled me up for the evening too. Savoury crumble is one of my favourites.
      J x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. It's so easy to make too, especially if you use leftovers for the bottom. :-)
      J x

      Delete