Saturday 27 January 2018

Saturday, 27-01-18

Morning, all!

It's the weekend so today I am being a bit lavish.  If you read a previous post, you may remember that I said that I was aiming to spend more or less between £1.50 and £2.00 a day on my meals.  The calculating is fairly rough and ready but I have, over the decades, developed a reasonable sense of how much I am spending and I know that several days recently have been pretty frugal so today's little splash out really won't dent the finances too much - and I already have the stuff in anyway (not that that makes it any cheaper).

The calories will be OK, even if the cost is a little bit more.

Today's plans:
B:  going posh - scrambled egg with smoked salmon on toast (the last two are from the freezer - that's my excuse!)
L:  soup, perhaps mushroom as I have some mushrooms to use up
D:  Tunisian chicken - a Rosemary Conley recipe so it has to be low fat.  I've not made it before and  I think I will have it with rice or, maybe, orzo.  Dessert will be the elderflower jelly I didn't make yesterday.  I've just made it and it's cooling before I pop it in the fridge to chill and set.
Ss:  apple and orange

From the freezer:
smoked salmon
bread for toast
chicken chunks
passata (instead of a quarter of a can of chopped tomatoes)

The frugal factor
. . . er . . .
The soup - home made is always cheaper: mine is anyway!
Looking at the ingredients for the chicken, that won't be too bad either as I have some chicken chunks frozen that I got from the market and which weren't ruinously expensive.  There's quite a list of ingredients but most are spices (and I have them all)


One sad thing - I think I have come to the end of the garden potatoes and finished them off last night by sort of mini-chipping them to have with fish and mushy peas.  I'll turn out the bags at some point soon just to check but if I find anything, it will only be a titchy little one.
It wasn't a huge harvest because the potatoes I used were just ones that had sprouted in the bag.  I think this year I will use proper seed potatoes and see if that makes a difference to the number of potatoes I get.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. You don't necessarily get more from seed potatoes but you do tend to get better potatoes, and they are slightly healthier. And of course you know what type you are getting and that they will stay true to form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a point. Some of the potatoes I planted were King Edwards but what came up wasn't really - still nice though!
      J x

      Delete