Wednesday 24 January 2018

Planning

Different things work for different people but this works for me.
I like to plan all my meals, not just the main ones and I use a table on Word to record the plans.

Breakfasts tend to be much of a muchness most of the time but occasionally I will plan in something a bit more lavish.
At present, through the winter, lunches also tend to look the same but, because I make all my soups, they're really quite different.  Where it just says 'soup', it's because I haven't decided what kind - it will depend on a) what I have and b) what I fancy.  The one consistent is that they are all frugal.

I really ring the changes with dinner.  I use my up to date (usually) audits to see what I have, look at what I jotted down on the previous plan and go for it!
They do change.  Maybe I have unexpected leftovers, maybe I really like the idea of something else, maybe I have planned something more time consuming and I find I don't have the time, but generally I stick with it.

As my plans are based on what I already have (which is loads, hence the freezer challenge), my shopping list is usually small but I have a post-it beside the keyboard and I jot down anything I will need to get.  The one beside me at the moment says milk and frozen peas.

The last column is for other stuff, a bit like a mini diary.  I deleted that before screenshotting because it's personal to me and pasted it back afterwards.

Once it's done and printed out, when I see something I'd really like to make (such as Sue's sausage and egg pie from her blog today), I note it down underneath and plan it in the next time I do my planning.

It's a bit regimented, I know, but when I was teaching I had very little spare time and knowing exactly where I was with my food worked for me, even though it wasn't frugal.
Now I am time richer so I continue using the same system but it is a lot more frugal.  I worked hard for my pension and want to make every penny count.

Here's a screen shot of this week's and next week's plan (updated and extended into next week just now).


As I said - it really works for me.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your plans and ideas, they are useful to have and implement from time to time! We have a set menu plan too - it just makes life so much easier knowing that the evening meal or whatever is already thought of!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does make it all a lot simpler.
      J x

      Delete
  2. ps... do you have a recipe for that crustless quiche? Its so hot here and that would be a great one to make with some salad. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go, although, in all honesty, it varies each time. You might have to copy and paste the link.
      http://my30-30challenge.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/recipe-crustless-quiche.html
      J x

      Delete
    2. thanks so much Joy! I'll let you know how it turned out when I make it.

      Delete
    3. That would be great, thanks.
      J x

      Delete
    4. I made the quiche today - would like to send in a photo to show you but I dont think I can here. I think I will share it on one of my blogs
      https://everydayishthings.blogspot.com.au/

      Delete
    5. Found it. I think it looks absolutely delicious and has reminded me that it's nearly lunch time.
      J x

      Delete
  3. Planning is important, I do a rough menu after a quick scan of the fridge, cupboard and freezer. Some days get moved around because plans change but it gives me a baseline to work from. We often only eat two meals a day because we both like to exercise before we eat in the mornings. So brunch is normally slightly more wholesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wake so early that fasting until about 11 o'clock sounds - er - hard! Having said that, I got busy this morning and totally forgot about breakfast! < looking sheepish >
      J x

      Delete
  4. Brilliant planning. I need to do something similar for our month on rations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It means all the hard work is done at the start and I do like knowing where I am with that sort of thing, otherwise it's just too easy to pick and waste - it is for me anyway.
      J x

      Delete