Tuesday 16 January 2018

Tuesday

Good morning.  :-)
I had a lovely frugal surprise yesterday when I got home from my parents'.  It was a letter from my electricity supplier telling me that from now until July they are more than halving my monthly payment because I am in credit.
Now, there are some very good reasons why I'm in credit, not ones that would be appropriate to share here, and it won't stay like that for ever but I have been using my tumble dryer more during the winter months and come the spring, when the days are longer, brighter and warmer, I will be drying my washing on the line again which will be a saving and I have been making more use of the cheaper electricity overnight too.  So it will all even out.

However, whatever the reasons, it's a bit more cash to toss over into savings each month.  Cheers!
(actually the above shows how much I have changed because one upon a time it would have been 'Cheers, I can go and buy something!)
So what with that, the two state pension payments this month and no rates/water rates in February and March, my ISA will be happy!

Today's plans (I have my daughter coming over for dinner):
B:  porridge, strawberry foam, yogurt
L:  roasted tomato soup
D:  Jack burgers (those famous kidney bean burgers from Jack Monroe's early days), salad, jacket potatoes (some of those little ones I posted about yesterday), maybe Christmas cake
Ss:  apple and orange

From the freezer
Just the kidney beans to make the Jack-burgers (that's what we call them)

The frugal factor
Breakfast, as always.  Must get some more oats though as I'm nearly out and that would never do!
The tomatoes for the soup are from Aldi's recent Super Six and I roasted them last night when I had the oven on anyway.
The burgers are frugal anyway, the salad veg is mostly still from Aldi (who says Aldi stuff goes off quickly - not me!) and the potatoes are from the garden (yay!).
I have some bread crumbs left over from yesterday so I will add them to the burger mix.

Here's the link to Jack's web site and that famous burger recipe.  It is nice and very adaptable.
 https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2015/01/31/carrot-cumin-kidney-bean-burger-9p/

5 comments:

  1. ohh what is strawberry foam?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cheat name really. You know when you make jam and sometimes you get a sort of 'scum' that has to be skimmed off? There's nothing wrong with it, it just spoils the appearance of the jam. I made some jam the week before last and decided 'foam' was a much nicer name than 'scum'.
      J x

      Delete
  2. I make Jack's burgers too. Not overly keen on cumin though so I use curry powder. Have also made them with cannelloni beans. Generally more expensive but I won them at Slimming World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curry powder is a great idea - I'll remember that one. Thanks.
      J x

      Delete
    2. As is cannelloni beans. Note to self - read whole message before replying! :-)
      J x

      Delete