Wednesday 17 January 2018

Wednesday, 17-1-18

Good morning and welcome to another frugal day!

My food plans for today are . . .
B:  Muesli, fruit (probably from a can), natural yogurt
L:  The other half of yesterday's roasted tomato soup which was totally and absolutely delicious, so tasty that you'd never have thought it was made with some extremely nondescript, plastic wrapped, so-called tomatoes.  Roasting the tomatoes really does make a flavour difference.  The oven was already turned on for something else so there were no extra fuel costs.
D:  pasta bolognaise, salad.  Dinner is a bit problematic today.  I am out until 6:00 and then back out for a school governors' meeting at about 6:20 so I will have to get it all ready beforehand so I can just pop it in the microwave when I get in after the evening meeting.  The bolognaise part is already made and in the freezer so no hassle.

From the freezer:
Just the bolognaise, although by having the soup again I have stopped it needing to go in the freezer.

The frugal factor
The muesli is a gift
Tinned fruit is cheaper than fresh - the kind I get is, anyway.
The soup tastes loads more expensive than it cost to make.  It would be even cheaper if I used one of my cans of chopped tomatoes and that is what I usually do when I make this soup.
The bolognaise is from a batch bake, well loaded with veg, oats and lentils.
Most of the salad is Aldi Super Six

And, just for the record, the 'hidden in plain sight' potatoes, baked and eaten yesterday, were totally scrummy.  I felt so privileged which may sound a bit silly but there you go!



I'm trying to use up the multitude of stuff in the freezer.
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
I have gall bladder problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so am taking myself in hand with low fat, high fruit and veg, generally healthy meals but with plenty of flavour.
Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment