Saturday 6 January 2018

Thank you, Jamie

I was watching Jamie's cheap meals (or whatever it's called) on the Good Food channel this afternoon and I've picked up a handy hint.  I really hope it's a handy hint anyway.

I'm always a bit reluctant to 'egg and breadcrumb' because it means using a whole egg and chucking some away - when you're cooking for one and really don't want to make any more bean burgers anyway.

So when I saw this I sat up and paid attention.  I'm probably the only person in the frugal blog world who didn't know this, but I didn't.
Instead of using an egg, use plain flour mixed with a little water to make a paste and brush the paste over.  I guess you could season it if you want.  The whatever-it-is then goes into the breadcrumbs which stick beautifully and then you cook.  I would bake, of course, with a few sprays of oil over first.

That's the theory anyway.  I shall try it at some point and see if it works in real life away from the magic of the studio kitchen!  Watch this space!


6 comments:

  1. That's a very handy hint, thanks. I can't bear to waste food. I am struggling to manage eating, cooking and food budget as a new 'empty nester'. I've been reading through your blog posts with interest. I am seriously watching the pennies too, saving for essential home projects which I don't want to borrow for. I shall keep popping by for a read. Best wishes, Rose (Cornwall)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Rose, lovely to meet you.
    It's a very old and overused saying but I really do believe that if you look after the pennies, the pounds will be fine! Good luck with your pennies and may you be able to do many of those home projects this year.
    I'm very glad you're finding the blog interesting! Please do keep commenting.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was watching the Jamie things as well - it inspired me to tear up the end of the weekend loaf and make into croutons to have with our salad yesterday lunchtime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a few times lately about the flour and water paste instead of egg. Must try this as I tend to avoid crumbing because I don't like to waste egg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the same. I think it's well worth a try!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We keep a few quail in a large rabbit cage under the window in the garage. They are prolific egg layers and their eggs are just right for an egg wash on a pie or egg and breadcrumbs. They are dainty in a salad and fine in baking. It takes about a dozen for an omelette.
    If you don't have room for chickens, quail may the answer.
    NellieGrace

    ReplyDelete