Saturday 27 January 2018

Recipe: smoked salmon pate

a.k.a. the 'Oh, dear, what shall I do' pate.

I was going to treat myself to a lovely breakfast.  Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast.
I had eggs
I got the bread and the smoked salmon trimmings out of the freezer.

And then it occurred to me that I wasn't that sure how old the eggs were so I did the water test.

Oh, dear, did ever eggs float more merrily than mine did this morning?
(so, I am ashamed to say, I had to throw them out)

A bit of quick thinking later, this is what I did.

I got out my mini zizzer in into the bowl I put . . .
the trimmings that I had cooked briefly in the microwave (to thaw them out so I just gave them a bit longer)
a dollop of soft cheese (Morrisons Savers)
a good splash of lemon juice from a bottle
a little dollop of dijon mustard
(no salt, smoked salmon is already salty enough, but one could add some black pepper)

and I zizzed it all into a slightly rough pate and spread it onto warm toast.

You know what?  It was absolutely delicious so I got my treat after all!

Apologies for the bites - I had started eating before I remembered to take a photo.

And eggs are now on the shopping list!

4 comments:

  1. A well rescued breakfast idea 😊

    Somehow I quite like the idea of your eggs bobbing around merrily in their bowl of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. They are bobbing around merrily in the bin now!
      J x

      Delete
  2. I made Mackerel pate earlier this week using a similar recipe, it is so simple and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to eat more fish, isn't it? mackerel pate sound delicious.
      J x

      Delete