Friday 5 January 2018

Recipe (sort of): bean burger

If you've been reading, you will know that I had some beaten egg and some bread crumbs left over and I made bean burgers which were really tasty.  Here's a very vague description of what I did.

I zizzed some chick peas and kidney beans into a sort of bread crumb like consistency.
I added 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, some chopped (thawed, so soft) leeks, salt and pepper, the egg and the breadcrumbs, mixed it all up well (quite sloppy) and left it to absorb and thicken. 
It was still a bit sloppy so I added some plain flour and then slopped it again because I wanted to add some lemon juice!  Doh!

I heated some spray oil in a pan and used spoonfuls rather than trying to shape.  When it was browned on one side, I sprayed the tops, turned them over and cooked the other side.  They firmed off nicely as they cooked so were easy to turn.

I had them with a salad, some coleslaw and some cranberry sauce left over from Christmas.

And I forgot to take a photo, sorry!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy - one to add to my list.
    I have shopped (again) today. I didn't plan ahead before our trip so have already had to shop for bread and milk (several times because jet lag seems to need carb overload) , loo rolls, washing powder etc. Today I went to Aldi to restock fruit and veg etc. Before we went out I made a real effort and put a meal in the slow cooker (eat well for less chicken dhansak, with extra lentils - and all the ingredients i used I already had in the cupboard or freezer. We will eat this tomorrow so the flavours can develop). The kids requested supermarket lasagne and chips tonight - one last indulgence! Although, they keep sleeping through meal times and then needing more toast! Our trip has been incredible, but now we are back I will be glad to get back to normal, not be so tired, and get fully on the frugal freeway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curry sounds absolutely fantastic and just what you need to get your minds over the jetlag. It is difficult at first - sleep stuff can play havoc with body routines - but small steps will get you there.
    Glad you had such a fantastic time.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today (Saturday) I've been up since stupid o'clock and have been pottering in the kitchen. I am planning ahead for the 4 packed lunches every day (the husband usually gets his lunch provided at work, so I aren't factoring him in). I made a muesli flapjack this morning, not a frugal recipe, but using up the grainy end of a can of syrup, some butter from the fridge and the leftovers of one of the packets of muesli bought for the husband during one of his breakfast eating phases (the garden birds will be missing out this time!) it is a very squidy and rich flapjack, but has had the thumbs up from 2/3 children. (my preferred flapjack recipe is Marguerite Pattern fro a century of British cooking). I've also made Jack Monroe's peach and white choc tray and, but with milk choc and a can of mandarins. Mr Kipling will be feeling the pinch this week! Am now browsing Jack's first book and have made the saag aloo ready to cook with our curry, and will be making rough plans for the rest of ye week. We are meant to be having an epic roast tomorrow (a cheap joint of pork and a turkey breast joint from the freezer) but it's #2 sons birthday on Monday, and our options for celebrating are limited, so we might roast then (I am back at work, but the husband isn't - a good opportunity for him to beat his jet lag with activity I feel!) Apologies for rambling away on your blog!
    P.S. What on earth is going on with butter and milk prices?! (and I am from a farming background, so have massive respect for the farming community, but, wow, we've only been away a month!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They've really shot up, haven't they. I had to laugh at myself - I bought several packs of nice butter for the freezer when they were on special and a week later I had my gallbladder attack and am totally off butter for a while. Never mind, it will be there when things have sorted out
    Your baking adventures sound wonderful.
    I like your rambles - carry on. :-)
    J x

    ReplyDelete